Failed inspection for two cables in one plastic K/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well I don't see it either however I bet the installation instructions don't allow, or don't specifically state that the openings are good for 2 cables. He's probably got you on this but, IMO he is being a bit picky.

AndyB

Well I don't see it either however I bet the installation instructions don't allow, or don't specifically state that the openings are good for 2 cables. He's probably got you on this but, IMO he is being a bit picky.

He's being very picky he also called using screws inside the box instead of the exterior nails. Couldn't get the hammer in a couple tight spots.

480sparky

He's being very picky he also called using screws inside the box instead of the exterior nails. Couldn't get the hammer in a couple tight spots.

That's what face-nailers are for.

B118B-UPC.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
yeah he got me on that one, something we've probably all have done. This is the first time I've ever had an inspector comment on it.

Well and as any good inspector will tell you, just because you've never been called on it doesn't make it right.

I actually get more upset at the other inspectors than I do with the contractor when I hear that excuse. I'm starting to find out that I'm not always being lied too.:roll:

The code is the code, the small things are just as important as the big things. Not up to us to pick and choose.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
yeah not going to argue that one.

Amazing how each inspector picks up on different things depending on their mood.

He could be a very knowledgeable guy but goes by the book. Some inspector can get a little nuts with it but that's what they get paid for.

I got nailed on a piece of nm cable in the middle of a 3' high crawl space because I dropped down to the furnace box and I was 13" from the box with a staple. I had to drive 10 miles one way to put a dang board down and staple it within 12 inches. That was the only thing he got me on.

AndyB

Well and as any good inspector will tell you, just because you've never been called on it doesn't make it right.

I actually get more upset at the other inspectors than I do with the contractor when I hear that excuse. I'm starting to find out that I'm not always being lied too.:roll:

The code is the code, the small things are just as important as the big things. Not up to us to pick and choose.

I'm not saying he's wrong just picky.

ceb58

He could be a very knowledgeable guy but goes by the book. Some inspector can get a little nuts with it but that's what they get paid for.

I got nailed on a piece of nm cable in the middle of a 3' high crawl space because I dropped down to the furnace box and I was 13" from the box with a staple. I had to drive 10 miles one way to put a dang board down and staple it within 12 inches. That was the only thing he got me on.

It is aggravating when you are gigged on something so minor but when it happens to me I think " well he had to find something and if it is that minor then the big stuff is OK"

AndyB

Just got some further clarification on multiple entries per knock out

Single gang boxes = ok
Multiple gang boxes = not ok

Last edited:

AndyB

It is aggravating when you are gigged on something so minor but when it happens to me I think " well he had to find something and if it is that minor then the big stuff is OK"

Except now the entire project is being held up because I can't get a re inspection until Tuesday because of furlough Friday and a Monday holiday :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.