Fan rated boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

If the print shows fan you put a fan rated box. If it shows light, you put a standard box. That is if your pinching pennys. I always put a fan rated box.

ceb58

That is a code change for 2011. 314.27 (C) It says to the effect if you have a ceiling box that has more than one switch leg in it then the box must be rated for a fan.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is a code change for 2011. 314.27 (C) It says to the effect if you have a ceiling box that has more than one switch leg in it then the box must be rated for a fan.

That is correct. Not sure why anyone would run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling box and not install a fan box..

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If the print shows fan you put a fan rated box. If it shows light, you put a standard box. That is if your pinching pennys. I always put a fan rated box.

Me too.

Last night a friend called and asked if I would help him put in a ceiling fan. I told him that the issue wasn't so much the fan, but the box.

When he asked why we couldn't just use the existing box at first I got short with him and said the reason was because the code prohibits it and that was that.

He is a curious sort so he kept asking questions. He wanted to know what the difference between boxes was and what the danger was. I told him that one of the dangers would be the fan falling down. Although I have NEVER seen or heard of that happening.

So then I explained the difference was not so much the weight, but the fact that the fan was a dynamic load and a light was a static load and the different stresses required different mounting hardware.

That he understood.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
That is correct. Not sure why anyone would run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling box and not install a fan box..

....also not sure why the NEC would make this change, and not just flat out require all ceiling boxes be fan rated. Does a fan/light combo installed on a box, with just a hot and a neutral have a different effect, or is it the weight of the additional conductor (second sw leg) that made the CMP change this? IMO, if a change was made, they should have required all ceiling boxes to be fan rated (in rooms normally supplied with them), and not rely on the amount of conductors in the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
....also not sure why the NEC would make this change, and not just flat out require all ceiling boxes be fan rated. Does a fan/light combo installed on a box, with just a hot and a neutral have a different effect, or is it the weight of the additional conductor (second sw leg) that made the CMP change this? IMO, if a change was made, they should have required all ceiling boxes to be fan rated (in rooms normally supplied with them), and not rely on the amount of conductors in the box.

What about boxes in areas where you would never install a fan. Should they be ceiling rated too?

jusme123

Occupation
JW

I believe that was covered.

shepelec

The MA amendments had wording to this effect back in 05. I believe it was if there was six square feet or more of ceiling space and it had a light then the box had to be rated.
It was deleted in our in the 08 amendments though.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The MA amendments had wording to this effect back in 05. I believe it was if there was six square feet or more of ceiling space and it had a light then the box had to be rated.
It was deleted in our in the 08 amendments though.

...this would mean that a 6 foot by 3 foot cloths closet would require a fan rated box, which does not make sense. IMHO, I believe it is a good code requirement if worded correctly.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I know why a 3 cable conductor is better for a ceiling box, but is the main reason, for a 3-way switch, or control of the light and fan independently, or speed control of the fan why a 3 cable is run in new construction?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I know why a 3 cable conductor is better for a ceiling box, but is the main reason, for a 3-way switch, or control of the light and fan independently, or speed control of the fan why a 3 cable is run in new construction?

It is for independent control of fan & light. Today with so many high end fans that have their own electronic wall switch there is almost no need for a 3 wire. Personally I like having the option for a wall speed control and a wall switch for the light.

Mrfixit

I recently saw where a builder installed nothing but fan boxes and 14/3 throughout the house with two switches for each. The home owner had a nice fixture over the kitchen table controlled by one switch and using the fan box as a junction ran another wire to down lights over the counter from the other switch.

mccayry

I got hit by the inspector once for not having a fan box in a dining room and one of the bedrooms, so from now on I dont think twice I install fan boxes in every room(excluding bathrms and closets) that way if the HO decides to install a fan or a large light fixture it will be safe to do so.

dana1028

So then I explained the difference was not so much the weight, but the fact that the fan was a dynamic load and a light was a static load and the different stresses required different mounting hardware.

That he understood.

I find that if I use multi-syllable words when explaining something they seem to 'understand' too.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
It is for independent control of fan & light. Today with so many high end fans that have their own electronic wall switch there is almost no need for a 3 wire. Personally I like having the option for a wall speed control and a wall switch for the light.

Yep, there really is no need for a 3 wire. Especially with the remotes. The motive is sane, but waiting so long to make a rule change that technology practically negates the need for it makes no sense at all. As far as fan boxes go, to be or not to be shouldn't be dictated by the number of conductors in a cable.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I find that if I use multi-syllable words when explaining something they seem to 'understand' too.

Actually, this guy knows the difference. I shouldn't have been so terse with him, it's just that so many people have posed the question to me I was prejudiced. Of course as you know, the customers are not really looking to understand any sort of code application reasoning when they ask questions, they are looking for a loophole and a way out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The wording in the previous code allowed for the use of a standard fan box as long as the fan was hung independently from the box. A 2x6 behind the box and you are good to go. I use 3" screws thru the bracket to the wood behind the box. This new ruling does not seem to support that if you use a 3 wire cable but does support it with a 2 wire cable. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.