Fault Current and OCPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUGear

I have (5) generators in parallel which leads to 140kAIC gear which then through a little distance feeds a UPS. The UPS is rated only for 100kAIC and thats as high as they go. My client will not use fuses. Can you use a circuit breaker and adjust the inst. setting to protect the ups?
I encounter similar levels of available fault on emergency systems often. Two thoughts:

1. I've had to use fuses in paralleling/synch gear for just that reason. Is there no way to persuade the owner to allow fuses just for that gear only?

2. Is is possible to connect the UPS further downstream where available fault is lower?

dbuckley

Given that the inverter and static switch are both semiconductor devices, with very real limits to their current handling capability, these devices are capable of being destroyed under fault conditions, so in a very real sense, they are your fuses. (Old saying - its amazing how a thyristor will lay down its life to protect a fuse)

Your customer is showing the right approach - he wants the highest reliability power so wants the minimum number of failure points possible, so no fuses please. Now if that means that if there in the rare case of a bolted fault in or just after the UPS that the UPS simply vanishes off the planet in a puff of smoke, well, thats an acceptable compromise, beacuse at that point the data centre is down anyway, or if its designed right, half down, so no break in customer service.

I have a distant memory that NASA used the same thinking during critical parts of spaceflight - the circuit breakers in the electrical distribution system had either a bypass or mechanical holdin, and during these critical events the breakers simply couldn't open, the thinking being we'll take the fire here rather than loose the facilities supporting the guys off-planet. Unfortunately, I cannot provide a reference for this, but I'm sure I didn't dream it.

ohmhead

Well circuit breakers or fuses? which is better for UPS

Circuit brk & fuses for use with UPS a circuit breaker takes 2 - 3 cycles 30 milli to 50 milli seconds to clear the fault with no ability to limit peak let thur current .

A breaker is good at coornating with other CBs but clearing time makes them impossible to cordinate with the semiconductors in the static switch which require protection in the 2 - 3 milliseconds range .

A CL fuse coordination is both peak let thur current & clearing time .

A fuse is faster and better ill use a current limiting fuse .

Status
Not open for further replies.