Fire alarm fire smoke dampers

Wildfire

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I've been getting a lot of questions on fire smoke dampers. Currently our standard is a fire alarm relay within 3' of the damper. Fire alarm and relay opens closing the damper. I keep getting asked about BMS (Building Management System) controlling the fire smoke damper with an input from the fire alarm system. Does anyone have any input on this if it is legal or not and where to find it. Thank you

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've been getting a lot of questions on fire smoke dampers. Currently our standard is a fire alarm relay within 3' of the damper. Fire alarm and relay opens closing the damper. I keep getting asked about BMS (Building Management System) controlling the fire smoke damper with an input from the fire alarm system. Does anyone have any input on this if it is legal or not and where to find it. Thank you
We did this at LaGuardia for the Terminal B renovation. The key was that the output from the fire alarm had to be to a local distributed controller for the BMS, unless the whole BMS system is installed to UL864 UUKL. This usually means dedicated communication infrastructure etc. for the control side of the BMS which no one thinks about until after the bids come in.