Fire Alarm Norms

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
kkwong said:
I can't quote the exact section, but I think its somewhere in Ch 10 and I'm pretty darn sure its only at the top of the elevator shaft.
I ask because someone of authority required the smokes/heats to be removed from the top and bottom from the shaft.

benaround

George, It's been my experence that the shaft 'heat detectors' will activate

the 'shunt breaker' to open. If no back-up system is installed the elevator car

will stop whereever it is. All in all Peter has it right, town to town it's all what

the 'man' wants.

quogueelectric

georgestolz said:
Thanks all, for the replies. :cool:

That kind of captured my feeling about the event, but the fire alarm tech (with 12 more years of experience in it than I have) was aghast at the idea.

For clarification, there are flow switches that set off alarms, and the horn/strobe on the front of the building outside the riser room is directly connected to the FACP and runs with waterflow only (dry system included).

There are also flows on every floor, that send a unique message to the monitoring company that they may know which floor has triggered the alarm. Among other fun whistles and bells. :)

Question 2:

Are heat detectors and smokes required in elevator shafts? Top and bottom?
(By what?)
George dont you have a set of drawings that you go by? Where I am if you dont have a stamped approved set of drawings from the fire marshal and you get caught running even 1 wire without these drawings you are subject to criminal prosecution and a personal 10,000$ fine. It is no joke. They dont want anyone designing systems without fire marshal input and approval. It just makes me wonder why they are so strict by me and it seems like other areas the electrician is just winging it.

kkwong

georgestolz said:
I ask because someone of authority required the smokes/heats to be removed from the top and bottom from the shaft.

Look at 6.15.3 (NFPA 72-02) and A.6.15.3.10. Unless your FI is working off NFPA 72-07 (Which I haven't adopted yet) the only mention of heats/smokes is at the top of the shaft and a heat in the elevator control room. Maybe that's what he's using?:-?

I know some "control pits" are equipped like that...

Edit to add: do you have a state agency that governs elevators? CA has OSHA and that could be one of their requirements...I was way off on the CH10...

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
kkwong said:
Look at 6.15.3 (NFPA 72-02) and A.6.15.3.10. Unless your FI is working off NFPA 72-07 (Which I haven't adopted yet) the only mention of heats/smokes is at the top of the shaft and a heat in the elevator control room. Maybe that's what he's using?:-?

I know some "control pits" are equipped like that...
The plans originally showed a heat and a smoke at the top of the shaft, a heat and a smoke at the bottom of the shaft, and a heat and a smoke in the equipment room at the top floor.

The Fire Department required the detectors be removed from the shaft.

The elevator inspector (works for the state, I think?) required a smoke be installed in the top of the shaft to operate a smoke relief damper at the top of the shaft - he was agreeable to only installing a smoke, and making it supervisory only (so no fire trucks would be dispatched to the site for a smoke in the shaft).

I thought it was a little strange to remove all detection from the shaft, but this was my first rodeo. :)

Thanks for the reply. :cool:

kkwong

georgestolz said:
The plans originally showed a heat and a smoke at the top of the shaft, a heat and a smoke at the bottom of the shaft, and a heat and a smoke in the equipment room at the top floor.

The elevator inspector (works for the state, I think?) required a smoke be installed in the top of the shaft to operate a smoke relief damper at the top of the shaft - he was agreeable to only installing a smoke, and making it supervisory only (so no fire trucks would be dispatched to the site for a smoke in the shaft).

I thought it was a little strange to remove all detection from the shaft, but this was my first rodeo. :)

No problem. :D Glad you enjoyed the ride.

I find it odd that a smoke in the shaft is going to supervisory...but that's why I don't work for the state. :)

quogueelectric

georgestolz said:

I am usually the idiot on the top of the cab installing the smoke detectors/ smoke hatch/ pit smokes/ Alt floor relays /cab recall relays w/shunt trip/loby alt floor smoke detection at each floor/While I am down there do the pit light and service receptacle. I have done dozens of them. When you do just make sure you lock out the cab power to the hydraulic unit or whatever powers the cab. It will squish you like a bug if you let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.