? for all you inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Split Bolt

Hi Paul, I don't do new construction in Alexandria, but a lot of service calls and remodels. Any idea when 2008 NEC will be kicking-in in VA? I'm starting to read rumblings about 2011 proposed changes and feel like I'm trapped in the past! BTW, tell Brian that I have capitulated and now use 20A duplex receptacles on microwave receptacles, rather than arguing about the FPN directing to the definition of "receptacle!" Cheers!:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
and now use 20A duplex receptacles on microwave receptacles, rather than arguing about the FPN directing to the definition of "receptacle!" Cheers!:)
:-? What is this about. A microwave does not need to have a single recep. If it is an individual circuit you can still use a duplex 15 amp recep. on the microwave cir. What FPN are you talking about.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Based on such little information we will assume it is powered from the shore and is a floating building.

Ther are alot of "camps" around the area. They are built on pilings and most have POCO power. Some have piers to the shore, some are only accessible by boat. I have seen some in the middle of a lake. All are under the NEC.

Split Bolt

Hey Dennis, you'll need to find your 2005 NEC book if you guys are in 2008. (I don't know if it changed for 2008 because I still keep my 2005 with me for now and my brand new 2008 is at home) Go to 210.21 (B) (1). After the 2 exceptions, there is a FPN: "See the definition of receptacle in article 100." You are correct in saying that you can use a duplex 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp microwave circuit because a duplex receptacle is not a single receptacle by code. However, in the City of Alexandria, you will fail your final inspection because of it! As I stated in my earlier reply, I have gotten tired of arguing because, after all is said and done, the AHJ calls the shots. I have found that it is easier to just install a 20 amp receptacle and get the job passed!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Split Bolt, do these inspectors have anything formal to back up their demands?

Roger

Split Bolt

A formal orange rejection sticker!:grin: Seriously though, it has been a couple of years since I decided to just go ahead and use 20A duplexes, but they would just cite 210.21 (B) (1) on the rejection slip. Honestly, now whenever I do a kitchen and supply the materials, I use 20A duplex and GFCI receptacles on all of the 20A circuits. I think it looks professional and makes me look good to the client!

Status
Not open for further replies.