Fri Picture-22 #12 wires in a 3/4" RMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... my JW used diet coke as a temporary lubricant. Apparently the bubbles get in there and let everything slide around.
The ants that were holding the wires and laughing at you saw the Diet Coke and screamed "Run for your lives! Artificial sweetener!"

Jim W in Tampa

The ants that were holding the wires and laughing at you saw the Diet Coke and screamed "Run for your lives! Artificial sweetener!"
Every really watch ants at work ? They travel the same way we drive. Now not sure what they would do here but perhaps drop some sugar in one end of pipe and place a few ants in the other. They just might open up that mess and work for free.

Article 90.1

Nakulak, best I can count is 17.

Jim, do ants in Europe travel on the opposite side of each other?

If bubbles from soda work, and vinegar is supposed to loosen concrete, mortar, and chico seal, why not try vinegar and baking soda?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every really watch ants at work ? They travel the same way we drive.
I've watched them. They come and go and say hello, and sometines they collide.

Then they call AAA (the American Ant Association) to send someone out to help.

Jim, do ants in Europe travel on the opposite side of each other?
:grin:​

If bubbles from soda work, and vinegar is supposed to loosen concrete, mortar, and chico seal, why not try vinegar and baking soda?
"I don't think so, Tim!"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
what kind of fitting is that? is that a plumbing fitting?
Funny you should ask that because I thought that was a plumbing elbow at first glance also. I believe the galvinized coupling is unscrew and just laying down-- there is no fitting between the coup and the pipe coming out of the slab. Those are the wires that you are looking at-- at least that is what I think.

RETRAINDAILY

Funny you should ask that because I thought that was a plumbing elbow at first glance also. I believe the galvinized coupling is unscrew and just laying down-- there is no fitting between the coup and the pipe coming out of the slab. Those are the wires that you are looking at-- at least that is what I think.

OK I see now, thanks.

Jim W in Tampa

I've watched them. They come and go and say hello, and sometines they collide.

Then they call AAA (the American Ant Association) to send someone out to help.

:grin:​

"I don't think so, Tim!"

I had some a few months ago. At first glance i thought some one had carried something leaking across my carpet all the way outside thru the sliders and under pool table till they reached the outside. After looking bit closer i noticed it was a team of ants from trash can about 50 feet of travel to the outside. There were thousands and being board at the minute took longer look and they travel on the right side. Now the fun begins, spill a little bit of beer on there highway.

kwired

Electron manager
This is a picture of 22 #12 THHW wires in a 3/4" RMC conduit. Note the code maximum is 14.
I had another run installed at the same time of 7 #10 and 2 #12 in a 3/4" RMC, those I managed to pull out with a tugger. The 22 are there forever.

I come up with max of 16.

If pulled hard enough they may be stretched and are now 14 AWG:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It was on a job just like this one, that I learned to choose my words more carefully. I said to the EC "you can't do that" and he had the strangest look on his face, that's when I figured it out. "OK let me rephrase that, obviously you can, but you're not allowed to.":confused::roll:

mivey

It was on a job just like this one, that I learned to choose my words more carefully. I said to the EC "you can't do that" and he had the strangest look on his face, that's when I figured it out. "OK let me rephrase that, obviously you can, but you're not allowed to.":confused::roll:
Ba-dump-bump. Chhhhhh. :grin:

big john

I would try getting water in the pipe first. If you can drain it out the other end, the more the better. I've had tray cable stuck so fast that I could swing from one end of it, and after letting a couple of gallons of soapy water drain through the pipe, I pulled that TC right out.

Depending on what's holding it, I second the use of vinegar. I've used the to breakup and dissolve concrete scale that gets into the conduit in dams.

Edit: That picture reminded me of some parking lot lights I helped install as a 1st year apprentice. All I remember was that there were enough wires in that 3/4 pipe that they had to use a Grade-All to pull the things in.... :roll:

-John

Last edited:

RICK NAPIER

The best I new of was an apartment building turned condo turned offices. When they were gutting the building for offices the electricians found 2" pipe packed so tight that when they cut at a 1' section and held it to the light no light passed threw. One of the electricians knew someone who worked on the conversion from apt to condo and asked how did they pack it so tight for a pipe that went from the basement to the 4th floor. He was told they used pulleys tied to a truck hitch. Then theey tested the wires out and any ones shorted to ground became neutrals.

nhfire77

The syrup coke is made from is corrossive enough that it is treated as a hazzardous material per the IBC.

Actual syrup?

I know what you are getting at, citric acid in the syrup.

At a certain concentration, and quanity (tanker) its dangerous , but the syrup with the citric acid in the solution cannot possibly be classified as a hazardous material, if so please show me where I can find this and have a good laugh.

If that is true, anything that has an ingredient that by itself is dangerous would be a HM. Example: Soap has some sodium hydroxide (lye) in it.

I agree that a 15000 gallon tank car of syrup would probably have enough acid to be placarded based on volume or maybe a warehouse storage facility, but those bags of syrup sitting in a restaurant are not.

There are those that could argue, strongly, that coke would meet ,OSHA's definition of a hazardous material includes......... any substance or chemical which is a "health hazard"......29CFR1910.120

But I digress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.