Future PI 110.15

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Take the demand readings on the transformers (from the meters),
If you can do that, why do you say:

Nope. Only at the substation level
Are the demand readings from the customer only on an aggregate basis, not per line? If only on an aggregate basis, for an open delta, how do you use demand readings to tell the required relative size of the single phase (lighting) and 3 phase (power) pots?

Cheers, Wayne

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If you can do that, why do you say:

Are the demand readings from the customer only on an aggregate basis, not per line? If only on an aggregate basis, for an open delta, how do you use demand readings to tell the required relative size of the single phase (lighting) and 3 phase (power) pots?

Cheers, Wayne

We don’t.
The meter returns peak kW only.
From there it’s up to us to investigate if it’s single or three phase loading.
Quite honestly most of our transformers are oversized anyway.
If I run an overload report and plug in something like 90% loading, I only get about 30-40 spit out. A lot of those are transformer sizes entered wrong. We had a guy that would put a “1” in the size field if he didn’t know the true size. It won’t accept null.
All he had to do was return the sheet back to the field guy that finished the job to get the correct size.
Most are residential. But in winter time we can run them a little overloaded for a real long time. Summer, we better go look.
Nothing worse than a hot customer that doesn’t have AC because of a transformer going out.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
@wwhitney

FWIW, I just ran a bank overload report.
>80% loaded. I had 8.
One was 104%, the next one was 90.1%.
That was for March 2024.
I really don’t fool with those reports until peak months. Shoulder months are misleading.
Although that 104 needs some investigating. It’s an old 3 pot 150kVA bank.
Probably added load and didn’t let us know.
And that’s why I love databases..

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I Assume that is summer. Is that because of higher ambient temp or increased loading due to air conditioning or both?

No, that is just for March only.
I didn’t go back to Jan.
I was doing it on my iPhone through Tableu. Didn’t want to get too crazy with it. Way better to do it on a laptop.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I meant when you said you dont look at reports much until peak months. is that peak ambient temperature or because almost everyone's usage is highest?

Oh, sorry.
Peak months are hot summer months (July, August, 1/2 September) and cold winter months (1/2 December, Jan, Feb.)

Shoulder months are spring and fall.

When it’s hottest and coldest the loads are the highest.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
OK, but those formulas are for calculating the A-B and A-C coil currents on an open delta given known loading A-B, B-C, and A-C.
Well they are for calculating the maximum load that can go on the power phase (A-B) and the lighting phase ( A-C ) when a known load is on the open phase B-C.

Whereas in your example I don't see what "Utility provides load numbers for each Xfomer" could mean other than that the utility has measured the actual peak coil currents A-B and A-C.
Good point I'd need to set up a data logger.
So those measured coil currents already include the effect of any load B-C across the open coil, there's no need to do further calculation because of the existing B-C load.

Cheers,
Wayne
Okay but how do you know if you can add the 6kw load in the example other than tossing a coin?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Okay but how do you know if you can add the 6kw load in the example other than tossing a coin?
Given the numbers in your example, you can only add the 6 kVA load without nominally overloading one of the transformers if you figure out which phase is open. Then you can put the 6 kVA on the power pot. Or move the 9.6 kVA load on the open phase to the power pot to free up capacity on the lighting pot to enable you to put the 6 kVA on either pot.

But it sounds like what the people on the POCO side of things would expect you to to do is just split your load up into a balanced 3 phase load (which could include a balanced set of single phase loads) and single phase load on the lighting pot only. Then inform them of the loading and leave it up to them to upsize/rework the transformers as required.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Given the numbers in your example, you can only add the 6 kVA load without nominally overloading one of the transformers if you figure out which phase is open. Then you can put the 6 kVA on the power pot. Or move the 9.6 kVA load on the open phase to the power pot to free up capacity on the lighting pot to enable you to put the 6 kVA on either pot.

But it sounds like what the people on the POCO side of things would expect you to to do is just split your load up into a balanced 3 phase load (which could include a balanced set of single phase loads) and single phase load on the lighting pot only. Then inform them of the loading and leave it up to them to upsize/rework the transformers as required.

Cheers, Wayne
Isn't your suggestion of moving loads from one transformer to another the same as what the utility company wants you to do - balance your loading?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Isn't your suggestion of moving loads from one transformer to another the same as what the utility company wants you to do - balance your loading?
Not in the context of my previous post and for the usual meaning of balancing.

Say there's no power company involved as you own the open delta, and you don't want to change those transformers, but your loading is bumping up on transformer capacity. Then you need to unbalance your loading exactly the same way as your open delta is unbalanced.

E.g. if you have a 100 kVA transformer A-N-C and a 50 kVA transformer A-B, and you have only single phase L-L loads (balanced 120V L-N loads can be treated collectively as an L-L load that must go on A-C), you can power 150 kVA of loads if you put 100 kVA on A-C, 50 kVA on A-B, and 0 kVA on B-C.

Whereas if you are designing the transformer bank from scratch you'd probably elect for a more balanced arrangement.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
E.g. if you have a 100 kVA transformer A-N-C and a 50 kVA transformer A-B, and you have only single phase L-L loads (balanced 120V L-N loads can be treated collectively as an L-L load that must go on A-C), you can power 150 kVA of loads if you put 100 kVA on A-C, 50 kVA on A-B, and 0 kVA on B-C.
This way you are using two separate single-phase transformers that are divided across a 3-phase feeder. You are not using an open-delta configuration to feed 3-phase loading.

Apples and Oranges.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This way you are using two separate single-phase transformers that are divided across a 3-phase feeder. You are not using an open-delta configuration to feed 3-phase loading.

Apples and Oranges.
🤔

I thought that was the premise of the entire thread?
Oh wait, that was another open delta thread where the question was asked about fully loading the two transformers with single phase loads.
I think… these open delta threads are hard to distinguish one from the other at this point..😂

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Okay, sure, for a new installation, you wouldn't generally choose an open delta if you only have single phase loads.

But certainly people have existing open delta installations made because there used to be 3 phase loads. In which case if you now have only single phase loads, and are transformer capacity limited, then you need to arrange the loads in an unbalanced fashion to efficiently use the existing transformer capacity.

Or more generally say your nonreconfigurable 3 phase loads require a power pot of 35 kVA, based on the formulas you posted, but you get a 50 kVA power pot because that's the next size up. If you want to capture all of that unused 15 kVA of capacity for single phase loads, you must install those single phase loads unbalanced.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
🤔

I thought that was the premise of the entire thread?
Oh wait, that was another open delta thread where the question was asked about fully loading the two transformers with single phase loads.
I think… these open delta threads are hard to distinguish one from the other at this point..😂
I thought the point of this thread was for a PI to require identification of a specific phase conductor.

My point is: additional code language is not needed.

The problem situation described, in this thread, is not about an open-delta transformer feeding 3-phase loads it is about a multi-wire circuit feeding two separate transformers. And so, is probably side tracking the OP.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I thought the point of this thread was for a PI to require identification of a specific phase conductor.
Not one conductor, but two conductors. The conductors forming the "open phase" of the open delta. Although for the usual case of high-leg open deltas, one of them is already identified as the orange high-leg.

The problem situation described, in this thread, is not about an open-delta transformer feeding 3-phase loads
Agreed, not 3-phase loads, but single phase loads. The goal is to allow future installers to easily identify the open phase of an open delta supply so they can avoid adding L-L single phase loads across that phase.

it is about a multi-wire circuit feeding two separate transformers. And so, is probably side tracking the OP.
I don't see any discussion that is a side track to the OP.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

My point is: additional code language is not needed.

The problem situation described, in this thread, is not about an open-delta transformer feeding 3-phase loads it is about a multi-wire circuit feeding two separate transformers. And so, is probably side tracking the OP.

You are correct sir.
I was making a joke about the threads
running together.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Yes, but this thread is an outgrowth of that thread, it's basically the same topic. In order to be able to fully and efficiently load the two transformers with single phase loads (or to load whatever capacity remains after accounting for the true 3 phase loads), you need to be able to identify which pair of line conductors form the "open phase."

Cheers, Wayne

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yes, but this thread is an outgrowth of that thread, it's basically the same topic. In order to be able to fully and efficiently load the two transformers with single phase loads (or to load whatever capacity remains after accounting for the true 3 phase loads), you need to be able to identify which pair of line conductors form the "open phase."

Cheers, Wayne

I’m sorry, I was making a joke.
See post 57.
It won’t happen again.

(Maybe)

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
How many electricians even deal with open delta systems in new construction? Only ones I’ve dealt with are instrument xfmr’s for protective relaying on medium voltage. Isn’t it the utility’s problem if they supply a system that’s inadequate?