GEC bond into the meter or first disconnect?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Hello all, This's a temporary service construction for a new building. Two ground rods 6' apart connected with gec #8awg solid copper bare wire continuous to meter can and then insulated #6awg copper wire to ground bar in adyacent temporary panel. Is this OK for this scenario? I appreciate for all inputs. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the #6 for, is it ahead of the service disconnect in the panel? #8 is the correct size for the GEC but it must be run in conduit or cable armor as it requires protection.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, the #8 solid copper bare wire is run in pvc conduit and isn't exposed to physical damage. The #6 insulated cable come from the meter can to ground bar inside the temporary load center panel

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, the #8 solid copper bare wire is run in pvc conduit and isn't exposed to physical damage. The #6 insulated cable come from the meter can to ground bar inside the temporary load center panel
The #6 is not needed and in fact it is a violation to have it parallel with the neutral so it must be removed.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
From NEC 2020 Handbook via NFPAlink. 250.24(A)(1) - with Enhanced Content.
"
(1) General.
The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

Enhanced Content:
Allowing various connection locations meets the overall objectives for grounding while permitting a variety of practical options. The exhibit below illustrates three possible connection points where the GEC is permitted to be connected to the grounded service conductor. The accessibility to the point of connection has to be approved by the AHJ based on local conditions such as locked meter socket enclosures.

2118073243-70HB20e250-08_edited.jpg

"

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Is the GEC is landing into the meter can, where is the origen of the equipment grounding conductor in the ground bar inside the panel to feed the loads during the construction process? Just to bond the green screw into the panel enclosure and run the EGC from the panel to the construction site?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I've to land the GEC in the ground bar in the panel instead in the meter can even if the meter is accessible?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
GEC lands on the Neutral/Grounded Conductor at any point before or at the service disconnecting means. It is permissible to land it on the ground bar if that bar, located in service equipment, has a means to bond the neutral to the ground bar (main bonding jumper).

I would also advise on reading section 590.6 for temporary wiring on construction sites.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've to land the GEC in the ground bar in the panel instead in the meter can even if the meter is accessible?
First thing is that unless your neutral bar is exceptionally small you won't need an EGC bar in the panel. Secondly if your main bonding jumper is a green screw the GEC must land on the neutral.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
The #6 is not needed and in fact it is a violation to have it parallel with the neutral so it must be removed.
I’m not sure if this is the setup of op but isn’t auxiliary ground rods not governed by NEC?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
From NEC 2020 Handbook via NFPAlink. 250.24(A)(1) - with Enhanced Content.
"
(1) General.
The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

Enhanced Content:
Allowing various connection locations meets the overall objectives for grounding while permitting a variety of practical options. The exhibit below illustrates three possible connection points where the GEC is permitted to be connected to the grounded service conductor. The accessibility to the point of connection has to be approved by the AHJ based on local conditions such as locked meter socket enclosures.

2118073243-70HB20e250-08_edited.jpg

"
The description that the load end of the overhead service conductors being a point for ungrounded conductor binding has never been clear to me. The pictures optional neutral bonding looks not to be on the service load end of service conductors

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I’m not sure if this is the setup of op but isn’t auxiliary ground rods not governed by NEC?
The #6 is not being used for an electrodes. It is run from the meter to the panel with the service conductors.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
It's like Infinity said, initially I landed the #6awg to the meter can where I attached the GEC and from there to ground bar into the temporary panel which is my service equipment, after your suggestion and read art.250 I've already removed the #6 wire and set the green screw main bonding jumper in the neutral bar in my temp. panel.
Finally my GEC is attached to the meter can, no connection between meter can and my tem. panel and my temp. panel have the main bonding jumper in the neutral bar. I think it's the correct setup. Now I'm waiting for the inspeccion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Finally my GEC is attached to the meter can, no connection between meter can and my tem. panel and my temp. panel have the main bonding jumper in the neutral bar. I think it's the correct setup. Now I'm waiting for the inspeccion.
Yes that's correct.