GEC requirement for PV Switch 2020 NEC

sketchy

I'm guessing I am not understanding your question...Do you mean the standard grounding/bonding bushing?
It looks like a rain tight connector with a bonding locknut, like they come as a set. Or is it 2 separate pieces - a connector and a bonding Meyers hub? Or just a bonding locknut that you replaced the factory locknut with? We use a rain tight connector and add a third party bond bushing.

jot30

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
It looks like a rain tight connector with a bonding locknut, like they come as a set. Or is it 2 separate pieces - a connector and a bonding Meyers hub? Or just a bonding locknut that you replaced the factory locknut with? We use a rain tight connector and add a third party bond bushing.
It is a rain tight connector with a bonding/grounding bushing.

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
In addition to this being on the bend of the wire, Ilsco doesn't allow taps on this type of rubber/cloth wire

1711493560149.png

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
Also looking at the picture you provided, fuse reducers can't be used in square D disconnects and aren't rated to be used in a service disconnect

Square D doesn't allow it and show me where fuse reducers are rated for use as service equipment?
In addition to what JB said:

1. I did find this on the web from Sq D /Schneider:

Does SquareD by Schneider Electric offer fuse reducers for use with fusible General Duty, Heavy Duty or Double Throw safety switches?

Issue:
Selection
Product Line:
Safety Switches
Environment:
General Duty Type D, Heavy Duty Type H, Double Throw Type DT
Cause:
Reduce ampere size
Resolution:
No. Fuse reducers are available from fuse manufacturers. Square D (by Schneider Electric) cannot recommend their use as their performance in our fusible safety switches has not been evaluated by UL.

But, I am calling BS on that. Bussman fuse reducers are UL listed, so Sq D is being disingenuous uppity scumbags and implying something is required that is not. Its not our fault Sq D never made fuse reducers but Eaton (they own Bussman) does - go sulk in a corner SQ D and cut the nonsense. Yet another example of Sq D thinking there stuff is made of gold and apparently "too good" for fuse reducers. I hate that company.

2. Generally the code tells us what we CANNOT do, not what we CAN do There is a new code, 240.60(E) that requires fuse reducers to be listed, but I am not aware of any special testing or attribute for fuse reducers used on service conductors.

jot30

Occupation
Also looking at the picture you provided, fuse reducers can't be used in square D disconnects and aren't rated to be used in a service disconnect
Hey Steve ... Not sure where the picture you posted came from ...it wasn't the one I posted. As far as the fuse reducer...I'll provide a picture of the packaging ( I don't have it with me right now, but believe I saved it) which identified the clip as compatible from the clip manufacturer with that switch...as far as the SqD information you supplied there would be a conflict between the package listing info and SqD.

jot30

Occupation
Here is some other info I found and the info I mentioned I would post
Listed requirement is now found in the 2023 NEC. New NEC 240.60(E) requires fuse reducers to be listed.

UL certifies fuse reducers under product category code IZZR. The UL Guide Information on fuse reducers states that product category code IZZR “covers fuse reducers designed for use in cartridge fuse fuseholders to permit the insertion of fuses of smaller rating, Type S fuse adapters designed for use in Edison-base fuseholders to permit the insertion of Type S fuses, and special adapters designed to permit the use of miscellaneous plug fuses in Edison-base fuseholders to provide supplementary overcurrent protection.

Attachments

• Fuse Reducers.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 6