GFCI receptacle tapped off LINE side of airhandler disconnect

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
I was working with a team of HVAC installers from the shop (we are HVAC + electrical, with me being the supervising electrician aka license holder) today, and they couldnt quite understand why I had to run a circuit for the service GFCI at the air handler.

I know tapping the required service receptacle off the line side of a 240 Volt air handler disconnect is bad practice ( the air handler is on a 2p 15 breaker). I couldnt find in the NEC where it is prohibited.

Anyone have the code section so I dont have to buy lunch on Monday???

Howard

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO totally fine if you run the neutral and the AC circuit is on a 15 or 20A breaker.

Probably a poor idea if the homeowner will be using it as a general purpose outdoor receptacle, but not a problem if it is being used to service the equipment.

They even sell AC disconnect boxes with a built in GFCI. These can be wired for separate or shared circuits.

Jonathan

ron

210.63(A) Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment.
The required receptacle outlet shall be located on the same level as the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment’s circuit disconnecting means.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I don't know about the NEC, but common sense should prevail, provide a dedicated circuit for the required GFCI outlets for HVAC servicing.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Thank you all! :)

The air handler is in the attic, so the GFCI would be for service use, or maybe a condensate pump.... So no real loading. As to Larry's suggestion of tapping off the attic light, any other time not a bad idea, in this case there was some safe but unprofessional looking wiring that I preferred not to touch.

Being as I am in northern IL (Lake County) we are all pipe and wire so the additional conductors werent a big deal.

now that I have a consensus that it isnt an overt code violation, If I have to I can run the neutral and be all good ( there are days I have to delegate and follow up later in the day) . Outside by the condensing unit, will ALWAYS require the GFCI being connected to a source other than that of the condensing unit due to the size of the OCP for that unit.

Howard

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
As to using MC , most places around here have it excluded from the local codes. FMC is allowed for (usually) 6 ft exposed or less. It was emt, to the disconnect box (2p tog switch +GFCI), and flex to the air handler. Best part is most areas here are also requiring RMC on the exterior

You dont want to see some of the local amendments to the NEC here.... No twin breakers, no sub panels, and bolt on for all commercial work I guess the reason is to keep the carpetbaggers out.

Howard

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
As to using MC , most places around here have it excluded from the local codes. FMC is allowed for (usually) 6 ft exposed or less. It was emt, to the disconnect box (2p tog switch +GFCI), and flex to the air handler. Best part is most areas here are also requiring RMC on the exterior

You dont want to see some of the local amendments to the NEC here.... No twin breakers, no sub panels, and bolt on for all commercial work I guess the reason is to keep the carpetbaggers out.

Howard
No subpanels at all how do they handle detached buildings do they all get their own 3 wire service or is it no subpanel less than a certain amperage

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've never been a fan of 2 separate circuits being in a disconnect, one for the AC and one for the Service Outlet.

I know it's convenient to do so, but something about not being able to kill all the power in a disconnect with 1 throw of a breaker never has sat well

with me.

JAP>

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
not connected to the load side of the ahu disconnect but the line side is fine
I dont see how connecting on the line side makes it ok. If you can't hook on the load side how does the line side make it ok?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If it is on the load side of the disconnect, then you can't disconnect the HVAC unit to do service work and have the receptacle available for said service work.

On the line side the receptacle remains powered.

Jonathan