ggggrrrrr....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4524

I bought a 3 pack of Leviton TR GFI's from the Home Depot. I install the first one, the green light is on but the outlet doesn't work. I check all connections and test with my wiggy and everything checks out ok. Just a bad gfi which we have all seen.
I install the next one and the same thing happens! I double test everything with a sharper eye and my voltage is good, connections are ok.
I disconnect the wires and check the GFI. The line is supposed to go on the top screws and the load on the bottom!! When did they change this? I have installed 100's of gfi's and have never seen this before. Line is always on the bottom no matter what brand. By the way, these are the new Leviton Slim GFI's. Oh well, just time and money.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
That's interesting, but all the GFI's I've seen have a yellow sticker over the load terminals. Did you remove this sticker and forget which side you removed it from?

masterinbama

I always look at the device for what is what. I used to not do this until I made a big mistake the first year I was in business. I was doing a school addition and I personally installed all of the switches (100+) . I was teasing my guys about how fast the boss was compared to them. Came time to turn permanent power on and speedy the boss had put every single pole switch in upside down. Woodhead devices have the ground screw at the bottom and the terminal screws on the right. Exactly opposite of Hubbel and Leviton.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I bought a 3 pack of Leviton TR GFI's from the Home Depot. I install the first one, the green light is on but the outlet doesn't work. I check all connections and test with my wiggy and everything checks out ok. Just a bad gfi which we have all seen.
I install the next one and the same thing happens! I double test everything with a sharper eye and my voltage is good, connections are ok.
I disconnect the wires and check the GFI. The line is supposed to go on the top screws and the load on the bottom!! When did they change this? I have installed 100's of gfi's and have never seen this before. Line is always on the bottom no matter what brand. By the way, these are the new Leviton Slim GFI's. Oh well, just time and money.

Was the ground up or down? :0)

iwire

Staff member
Was the ground up or down? :0)

My thought also. You had the thing upside down;)

This stops here
gunsmilie.gif

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I always look at the device for what is what. I used to not do this until I made a big mistake the first year I was in business. I was doing a school addition and I personally installed all of the switches (100+) . I was teasing my guys about how fast the boss was compared to them. Came time to turn permanent power on and speedy the boss had put every single pole switch in upside down. Woodhead devices have the ground screw at the bottom and the terminal screws on the right. Exactly opposite of Hubbel and Leviton.

How humiliating. I had a boss tell me to hurry, hurry, hurry, see how many switches he'd done & how few I had done, etc. Later, the GC called, complaining that the upper hallway switch had to be on for any of the bedroom lights to work. I went and checked out. Sure enough, wired in series. Guess who had done it? I got a lot of mileage from that one. This boss was/is a good friend & great boss. He is a bit OCD though. Sometimes obsessing with speed, sometimes on minute detail, etc. This time it was speed.

iwire

Staff member

So to sum it up ....... you are upset at the manufacturer for your lack of paying attention to your job. :grin:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Exactly. Think of a load you do not want/need GFCI protected like a light. In on line,out on line to switch. Leave the strip alone.

Ceb, your post confuses me. How do you use a GFCI recp. for in and out without using the load side of the recep.?:confused:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ceb, your post confuses me. How do you use a GFCI recp. for in and out without using the load side of the recep.?:confused:

What he meant was if you do not want anything downstream of the GFI receptacle to be GFI protected you need to put it on the line side of the GFI receptacle. If you want it protected put it on the load side.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What he meant was if you do not want anything downstream of the GFI receptacle to be GFI protected you need to put it on the line side of the GFI receptacle. If you want it protected put it on the load side.

Oh, you are you talking about tapping/splicing the line feed before you land on the GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.