gps units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

We have a Navigon 2100. It was about $120, and I've seen them around $80 since then. It's one of the few in this price range that has text-to-speech, meaning that it speaks street names. We love it.

It shows interstate intersections and interchanges in 'real view', showing signs and exit lanes. You can enter addresses starting either with the street or the city, so it doesn't present Alfie's complaint.

One suggestion: explore the menus.

Same units I have. It also recalculates routes if you detour and shows arrival time.

I have the Garmin unit, I think it was around $280. I have become so depended on it I am afraid to take it out of the truck. Well worth the money. :D

steelersman

I was glad to see them win, all the more sweeter for the Card's.
Should be a good game. Considering half of the Cards coaching staff came from the Steelers right after we won the last Super Bowl. Our defense will do what it always does to teams that rely on a heavy dose of offense, make it look average at best. Can't wait. :)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have a Garmin. What I don't like about it, is that sometimes it will send me on a really funky route and I'm not sure why. We went to Colorado and we were going to our son's new house and it had me get off the freeway, went down about 4 blocks and when I got to the next street we were supposed to turn on there was a off ramp there.

I also went up north and wanted to take the 101 all the way till I needed to turn off to Monterey. The thing wanted me to take the 1 which is the coast highway and every road I passed going up it kept telling me I needed to turn. It got kind of annoying. On the way home I knew where I was going and it kept trying to send me back to the coast.

I know I could turn it off if I know where I am, but I like the feature that tells me how long it took and how long I stopped, top speed, average speed, miles traveled, etc.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have a Garmin. What I don't like about it, is that sometimes it will send me on a really funky route and I'm not sure why. We went to Colorado and we were going to our son's new house and it had me get off the freeway, went down about 4 blocks and when I got to the next street we were supposed to turn on there was a off ramp there.

price doesn't matter, manufacturer doesn't matter. they all do that.

the shortest distance to the 405 northbound from my house is straight
up edwards, left on westminster, right onto the ramp. a blind dog with
a note in it's mouth could figure it out.

all of my gps's want me to make a right turn, go a mile in the wrong
direction, and battle three times the traffic.

but, they all will tell you where you are, find where you want to be,
and suggest a route repeatedly. :D:D

it's best to turn off the voice prompts, in my experience. the voice
on mine, (i named it gracie) would jabber incessantly for me to make
a turn i didn't want to make.

she was rendered mute after two days, never to return.

the best one, was i was coming home from reno, and instead of taking
me down highway 80 to 99, it found a path that was a mile shorter, and
wanted me to go along the spine of the mountains on mountain roads
for 500 miles........

cowboyjwc

Staff member
price doesn't matter, manufacturer doesn't matter. they all do that.

the shortest distance to the 405 northbound from my house is straight
up edwards, left on westminster, right onto the ramp. a blind dog with
a note in it's mouth could figure it out.

all of my gps's want me to make a right turn, go a mile in the wrong
direction, and battle three times the traffic.

but, they all will tell you where you are, find where you want to be,
and suggest a route repeatedly. :D:D

it's best to turn off the voice prompts, in my experience. the voice
on mine, (i named it gracie) would jabber incessantly for me to make
a turn i didn't want to make.

she was rendered mute after two days, never to return.

the best one, was i was coming home from reno, and instead of taking
me down highway 80 to 99, it found a path that was a mile shorter, and
wanted me to go along the spine of the mountains on mountain roads
for 500 miles........

Then I don't feel so bad. Thought maybe I just didn't have the settings right.

The first time I heard mines voice, I thought to myself, if I wanted to be talked to like that I'd just have my wife read the directions. When they tell you they're recalibrating it almost sounds like you're putting them out.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
With mine, a Garmin unit there are a lot of settings that will change the routes.

For example if I choose the "Truck" setting I will often be taken on longer routes but it will avoid small roads or roads for private vehicles only. If I choose the "Car" setting the route will be shorter. If I set if for "Emergency Vehicle" it will tell me to use the 'official use only' turn arounds on the highways.

There are also settings for "Shortest distance" or "Shortest time" etc. Shortest distance sounds good until your taking 500 turns through little side roads or are brought through a busy area with lots of lights.

Besoeker

The built-in one in my Honda gets it all pretty much on target for directions to a specific location either by street address or post code. Post code is a bit more specific than US zip codes. If you know the location on a map, you can use move the cursor over the map select to that location even if you don't have an address.
You can select shortest, easiest, quickest, easiest etc. It flags up any traffic congestion. It can find the nearest fuel (gas) station, hospital, restaurant, Honda dealer, and much other good stuff. And it accepts voice commands - I can just ask for home, nearest hospital, set driver temperature, select which CD or radio station.....all that works fine.
But, if I ask it for the nearest pub, it sends me from UK to northern France.
I suppose they all have some quirks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
With mine, a Garmin unit there are a lot of settings that will change the routes.

For example if I choose the "Truck" setting I will often be taken on longer routes but it will avoid small roads or roads for private vehicles only. If I choose the "Car" setting the route will be shorter. If I set if for "Emergency Vehicle" it will tell me to use the 'official use only' turn arounds on the highways.

There are also settings for "Shortest distance" or "Shortest time" etc. Shortest distance sounds good until your taking 500 turns through little side roads or are brought through a busy area with lots of lights.

That's exactly what mine does. It got me off the freeway once and sent me through this single lane residential area and then dropped me off right next to a freeway offramp for the street I wanted. How that was shorter or quicker, I have no idea.

I thought the "truck" setting just gave you a cooler icon.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.