Greenlee Hand Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwong

I've known a few guys who've used them. They like the strippers, but the ones who have the cutters have complained about the steel being alittle on the soft side and pitting when you cut nails and what not.

peter d

They are fairly new to the market so there is not much information about them, although they basically look like Klein/Channelock stuff with different handles. (Channelock makes a lot of stuff for Klein and Ideal anyway.)

A distributor that I know of took down their Klein wall and replaced it with Greenlee, and the Greenlee walls are seriously cutting into Klein's space. They seem to be taking the market by storm, and are obviously relying on the recognition of the Greenlee name.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
greenlee has the best roto strippers on the market, better than those ideal ones.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jrannis said:
Greenlee for knock outs, and bigger wire cutters, Klein sidecutters and screw drivers, Channel lock "channel locks" and Ideal for small wire strippers
Works for me! :)

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
Hope it does not end up like Rigid...

I think the "real" Rigid plumbers tools are still the same. The power tools that they sell at Home Depot are nothing more than Techtronic stuff (maker of Ryobi, among others) with a Rigid name on it. It's just a marketing ploy by HD as far as I can tell.

ItsHot

rigid

rigid

peter d said:
I think the "real" Rigid plumbers tools are still the same. The power tools that they sell at Home Depot are nothing more than Techtronic stuff (maker of Ryobi, among others) with a Rigid name on it. It's just a marketing ploy by HD as far as I can tell.
I don't own any Rigid cordless tools. Are they not any good. The few people that I have asked, have said a few good things about them. Did you know Ryobi bought Milwaukee???

Riograndeelectric

It is not Royobi that bought Milwaukee but that Emerson tools the parent company of Ridigd tools Bought Milwaukee and Metaboo tools . I went tot the Emerson / Ridigd website and found this out.
I own a ridigd 24 volt combo kit and it weighs like a Anchor.
I am not impressed with it as the battires at just 8 months old will not hold a charge .

Poolside

Riograndeelectric said:
It is not Royobi that bought Milwaukee but that Emerson tools the parent company of Ridigd tools Bought Milwaukee and Metaboo tools . I went tot the Emerson / Ridigd website and found this out.
I am not impressed with it as the battires at just 8 months old will not hold a charge .

I know the feeling. I owned three of the 18v Milwaukee Hammer/Drills. Almost to the the day each went out at 6 months. I had them rebuilt- lasted another 6 months. By then, the batteries were junk, too. I figured with the cost of the batteries, I was better off buying the cheaper Ryobi drills. They're inexpensive, but you get a lot of bang for the buck. I'm done with Milwaukee cordless anything. At least the Hole Hawg is still made well.

Greg

electricalperson

i like greenlee handtools but i use klien pliers because they dont have a set with a crimp on them yet.. basically greenlee screwdrivers are pretty much the same as the klien brand just a different color.

dezwitinc

Riograndeelectric said:

I will agree with you there.
We just bought 2 of the sets and the batteries are a pain in the rear.
Sometimes they go forever and sometimes, they die after just drilling a couple of holes.
One of the drills lasted 2 weeks and is now out of service.
We have been in touch with Rigid but no resolution yet.
I would like to just get my money back and buy Bosch.

rkrieger

Welcome to the "global" marketplace

Welcome to the "global" marketplace

Many have posted regarding brand favorites and quality issues. I believe that since Home Depot began selling Greenlee hand and basic electric tools, some DIY's begin to purchase what once was an electrical supply outlet product. I agree with many in that the best wire cutters are probably Klein blues, Channel-lock for pliers, Ideal for strippers and Klein for screwdrivers and nut drivers. Be aware that if you are talking U.S. made tools, there are only a few manufacturers that make tools under different brands. For example, the Danaher Corp. makes most of Craftsman and many of Snap-On tools and I suspect many of Klein' and others. I personally do not use imported tools simply because of quality concerns. Being a totally "loyal" domestic user is tough if not impossible in today's global economy when many U.S. firms manufacture off-shore to say labor costs. I also know that I am probably using some "imported" tools thinking that they are made in USA. We use Greenlee for KO work, hole saws, Pullers, Drywall saw, etc.

For what it's worth.

RLK

cschmid

rkrieger said:
Many have posted regarding brand favorites and quality issues. I believe that since Home Depot began selling Greenlee hand and basic electric tools, some DIY's begin to purchase what once was an electrical supply outlet product. I agree with many in that the best wire cutters are probably Klein blues, Channel-lock for pliers, Ideal for strippers and Klein for screwdrivers and nut drivers. Be aware that if you are talking U.S. made tools, there are only a few manufacturers that make tools under different brands. For example, the Danaher Corp. makes most of Craftsman and many of Snap-On tools and I suspect many of Klein' and others. I personally do not use imported tools simply because of quality concerns. Being a totally "loyal" domestic user is tough if not impossible in today's global economy when many U.S. firms manufacture off-shore to say labor costs. I also know that I am probably using some "imported" tools thinking that they are made in USA. We use Greenlee for KO work, hole saws, Pullers, Drywall saw, etc.

For what it's worth.

RLK

Amen to that brother buying us is tough now a days but it is nice to see someone else attempts to buy US made and supports our economy..

Tool Companies

Tool Companies

Straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.decker27dec27,0,7818297.story

excerpt:
In the U.S. market, TTI sells Ryobi and Ridgid, both consumer brands sold primarily through Home Depot, and Milwaukee, which is positioned for construction professionals.

TTI also has a multiyear alliance with Craftsman to manufacture hand-held cordless and corded power tools sold through Sears and Kmart.

Black & Decker (edit: includes DeWalt -what used to be B&D Industrial) ranked first in the U.S. power tool market in 2006, capturing 25 percent of the market, while TTI was second with 17 percent, said Michael Deneen, analyst with the Cleveland-based Freedonia Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.