Ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You have to understand the logic of why each of the different conductors under scrutiny here exists. Once you have that figured out it doesn't really matter what they are called, you know their function.

Protective earth? How many people think driving a ground rod is acceptable over a proper equipment grounding conductor? Change EGC to PE and you don't change the thought process of those that think the rod is suitable for the purpose, in fact you may even increase their assurance that it is the right thing.

Protective earth is a terrible term to use.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think the NEC sound change the term EGC to "bonding conductor" as you not actually connecting anything to earth in terms of fault clearing.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Protective earth is a terrible term to use.

I think the NEC sound change the term EGC to "bonding conductor" as you not actually connecting anything to earth in terms of fault clearing.

How about this, just for a start:

Using 120/240

Neutral = Neutral Conductor or Grounded Neutral Conductor, depending on what it really is. Dispense with Grounded Conductor.

EGC > Change to Equipment Bonding Conductor

GEC and grounding electrode are fine just as they are, with 'ground' being defined as 'the earth'.

I am one of those who prefer a change to the term Equipment Bonding Conductor". The instructors in Canada say this became much easier for the students to understand after they started using the term Equipment Bonding Conductor.
There are "public inputs" to make this change for the 2017 code so we will see if CMP 5 accepts them with a 2/3's majority this time. In the 2005 code cycle, my proposals to make this change were accepted by a majority of the members of CMP5, but since they were one vote short of the required 2/3's majority the proposals were reported as "rejected".

IMO they can use any word they want, it will still be confusing to many, especially if the same root word is used for a portion of other terms.

Grounded conductor
Grounding electrode
Equipment grounding conductor

Many get confused with those terms because they see ground in all of them and think they are all the same because of that.

Earthed conductor
Earthing electrode
Equipment earthing conductor

If we were to change to these terms or something similar I don't think the confusion level would be much different then it is now.

Then throw in some special situations like a corner grounded system or a two wire source, and the confusion gets even higher for some.

I sure like 'bonding' conductor better than 'grounding' conductor. If that's the way it was now, I wouldn't have suggested 'safety' conductor.
Ohhh good grief. In the name of sanity and consistency can we start with one term and make it the same from the front of the codebook to the back?

If it is used to clear a fault I am in favor of calling it an Equipment Ground. Those who agree say "Aye".

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ohhh good grief. In the name of sanity and consistency can we start with one term and make it the same from the front of the codebook to the back?

If it is used to clear a fault I am in favor of calling it an Equipment Ground. Those who agree say "Aye".

I think the definitions should be changed through out based on the function rather than having a common root.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Nay

The ground has nothing to do with the bonding system that provides the path back to the source designed to clear the fault.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Nay

The ground has nothing to do with the bonding system that provides the path back to the source designed to clear the fault.

I agree, in addition to the fact ground (earth) doesn't even provide equal potential, the second most important function of the grounding system.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I think I may have heard of it being called that once before:D
Which is my reason for wanting to keep it.:thumbsup:

Now if the momentum is moving to Equipment Bonding Conductor so be it. I just wish they would pick one term and use throughout the code book instead of pussy footing around tossing in a variation of bond here or there in the context of what we all understand as EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.