Grouping of disconnects for feeders to separate buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you priced the job based on that and was given the go-ahead you should be a happy camper :D:D
No, finishing up the proposal tonight, glad I caught it before pricing out of the ballpark.

What's the most economical form of three aluminum conductors?

kwired

Electron manager
I think I know the answer, but for a 120' run, which would be more economical in PVC, #3-cu in 1", or #1-al in 1-1/4"?

And, should I keep the neutral full-sized, or bother trying to calculate likely neutral loading to reduce it slightly?

We use the DB aluminum cable in conduit.

In my mind, if the insulation is tough enough to be direct buried, if it's installed in conduit it should last forever.
I've used that some before - but always on long runs of like 1000 feet or more. The place I can buy it from is about two hour drive away and certainly not worth it for 125 feet or so. What I have used doesn't have the conductors marked with anything that is acceptable indoors either from what I recall, but I have always used it for outdoor runs on the farms and never needed to worry about entering a building with it either.

So, what's the best (cheapest) form of three conductors of aluminum to pull that will fit into 1.25 PVC?

Dual-rated URD? SEU cable? Individual lengths?

Because I multiplied the per-stick price by 120 instead of 12. :dunce:
For me typically the dual rated URD either cost the least or is close enough that since you don't have to measure out individual conductors does save some on labor.

If I need a fourth conductor however finding dual rated URD doesn't seem to be as common - most the "quad" stocked around here is USE rated only.

No, finishing up the proposal tonight, glad I caught it before pricing out of the ballpark.

What's the most economical form of three aluminum conductors?

I agree with Kwired, the URD. I have priced it out compared to individual XHHW and the URD is a hair cheaper. You just have to be careful that it is also rated RHH-2 and not just USE-2 if its being used above ground.

BTW, in my previous post, I was assuming it would be pulled in pipe not direct buried. Too many rocks here.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't seem to find 1-ga, it goes from #2 to 2-0. I need to price it tonight.
Are you asking about the dual rated URD?

Here it goes from #2 to 1/0, there isn't any #1 in a multiplexed conductor set. Don't know if they don't ordinarily make them or if they just don't stock them.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's the HD link. I don't see XHHW, does that matter? From the Q&A:

"While this particular item is rated USE-2/RHH-RHW-2, not all USE-2 conductors are additionally rated for RHH/THW-2."

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-1-Black-Stranded-AL-USE-2-Cable-27283190/205001910

The main thing I need tonight is a reliable price. 3 x 125 x .66 = $247.50

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Here's the HD link. I don't see XHHW, does that matter? From the Q&A:

"While this particular item is rated USE-2/RHH-RHW-2, not all USE-2 conductors are additionally rated for RHH/THW-2."

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-1-Black-Stranded-AL-USE-2-Cable-27283190/205001910

The main thing I need tonight is a reliable price. 3 x 125 x .66 = $247.50

Doesn't need to be XHHW. RHW 2 is fine.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yay! Thank you, guys; i now have my pricing, and I can always shop if/when I get the job. ;)

The best part is that the customer is happy to do the trenching and back-filling himself. :p

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The building is sheet metal attached to horizontal 2x4s attached to vertical 6x6s. How would you run 3/4" EMT around the inside corners? I don't think FMC would be Kosher. I need to pot receptacles on three walls.

I could bend 90s toward the inside of the space, against the 6x6s, and use pulling elbows, but is there a way to keep the bends between the 6x6s and the skin of the building? I wouldn't be able to put covers on LLs or LRs.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The building is sheet metal attached to horizontal 2x4s attached to vertical 6x6s. How would you run 3/4" EMT around the inside corners? I don't think FMC would be Kosher. I need to pot receptacles on three walls.

I could bend 90s toward the inside of the space, against the 6x6s, and use pulling elbows, but is there a way to keep the bends between the 6x6s and the skin of the building? I wouldn't be able to put covers on LLs or LRs.

Am I understanding that you want to sandwich the EMT between the sheet metal and the 6x6s?

You could double 45 the inside corners, bringing your pipe "inside" the inside corner of the building.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Am I understanding that you want to sandwich the EMT between the sheet metal and the 6x6s?

You could double 45 the inside corners, bringing your pipe "inside" the inside corner of the building.
That's where I'd rather bend 90s in each corner, and join the stub-ups with outside-corner pulling elbows, so the conduit better follows the shape of the building. 45s would intrude into the interior space more.

halex-conduit-fittings-14407-c3_145.jpg

They make these, but I don't see me getting my gorilla-size hands behind the columns to pull the wire or put the covers on.

halex-conduit-fittings-14607-c3_145.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.