Hard Hat Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

i beleive a hard hat is good for two years,(OSHA Requirement) I'm only two months into a fresh one... bought on line, and theres tons that will sell you one like Here

That is a myth generated by the manufacturers. There is not a 2 year requirement. They just want to sell you new fard hats every 2 years.

ASTM Z89 has the requirements for hard hat replacement and inspection procedures. For class E rated hard hats, which should be worn by all electrical workers exposed to live parts, there are some special requirements regrading what you can put on them (Limitations on stickers, etc..).

big john

Just doing a little follow-up in case anyone is interested:

I ended up buying and trying out a "low profile" hardhat and one with an "adjustable height." It turns out that "adjustable height" doesn't affect how high the hat sits on your head: The webbing never changes, what moves up and down is the band that sits around your forehead. So it may be more comfortable to wear, but you're still three inches taller.

The "low profile" hardhat from Bullard actually does sit lower than some other hardhats. It was about 5/8 an inch shorter than the North "adjustable height" version and 3/8 shorter than my original AO Safety model. I don't know if that'll make the difference as far as bumping into things, but it's a pretty comfortable hat so I'll try it out.

-John

wtucker

I get tired of smacking into things and having my hat knocked off because of how high the hat sits on my head.

I don't get it... You'd rather smack into things WITHOUT the hard hat? One of our subs took off his hard hat to get into what he called a confined space. Turned his head quickly, whacked his temple on the edge of a Unistrut and bled all over the space. 6 stitches to close. He never takes his hat off now.

220/221

You would look like a total idiot but a bicycle helmet is pretty tight to the head and has no visor to get in the way.

The visor is what always causes issues for me. My field of view is limited so I am always smacking my hat on things.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That's one reason radios,MP3 players,or Ipods shouldn't be used on a
jobsite.

something i learned, the hard way. the distraction of music when you
are engaged in a potentially hazardous activity can be a bad thing.

think motorcycle helmet, ipod, fast motorcycle, 605 freeway, and
gardening truck. mix equal parts, and stir rapidly. add small amounts
of red electrician juice for coloring. garnish with stainless steel pins
thru the hand.

the song that was playing on the ipod, before the 30 yard asphalt crawl?

the doors.
jim morrison was singing "well, i got up this morning, and i had
myself a beer.... the future's uncertain, and the end is always near....."
:-(

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
the song that was playing on the ipod, before the 30 yard asphalt crawl?

the doors.
jim morrison was singing "well, i got up this morning, and i had
myself a beer.... the future's uncertain, and the end is always near....."
:-(
. . . as the theme song of The Twilight Zone goes wafting through the air . . .

I agree, though, against jobsite music. You just can't communicate effectively.

zog

.I agree, though, against jobsite music. You just can't communicate effectively.

I agree, music on jobsites are a big no no. Thats what I love about our shop, no issues with music, no way it casuses a problem unless there is a disagreement on the music, lucky for me our whole team loves the same stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.