Heated pavement

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
IMHO you don't need to melt the entire width, just enough to get a vehicle out so maybe 10-12'. Huge savings right there.
That’s an excellent point. The whole process seems a lot more expensive and difficult to do then I thought it would be. The site I looked at had 20kw to melt 400 sq. feet. My driveway is 2500, half width would be 1250, huge savings but still a lot.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I’m posting this in the Canadian section because I thought Canadians might have more experience with heated driveways. ...
I'm not Canadian, but you're close -- my house is only 16 kilometers north of the Canada-Michigan border, and my great-grandfather was Canadian.

I found a few odds & ends on my bookshelf that might be useful.
If you use the climate data published there, it will lead to an excessively-conservative design (with an excessive installation cost) due to global warming, but I can't offer a good estimate of a correction factor. (I don't think anybody can, just yet)

Last edited:

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
There is antifreeze specifically formulated for hydronic systems.
There's more than one, and they're called "heat-transfer fluids", not "antifreeze".
You probably don't want to use anything from the automotive or recreational-vehicle supply chain.

(this is informational, not an endorsement of Dow Chemical, Dow Corning, or their products)

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
I’m rethinking the heated pavement idea, I have learned that it probably a great idea for a Hospital Entrance or sidewalk at an Airport. It would be fine for a place used by enough people to warrant the cost. I’m leaning towards getting my own plow. I’ll probably replace my wife’s car with an SUV that can handle a small plow. It’s really only the $2,000 plow that is the extra cost. I’ll probably make some new friends too!

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
Chevrolet blazer EV for example is AWD, weighs 4600 lbs, 250 lbs. torque and maybe add winter tires. The plow part is easy just mount and connect to battery. I think it would be fine for a homeowner. I don’t think it would be good for commercial purposes. Anybody have a plow? I’m sure there’s a lot of plowing going on up north.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That's certainly true, but the question is how much of it can you deliver to the wheels before they slip on the pavement?
Actually they would probably work better short term than an ice vehicle. They are heavier, weight is better balanced front to rear, and if all wheel drive. Other than short range in the cold.

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
Can you mount a plow on a unibody?
That’s something I didn’t think about. I have seen unibody vehicles with plows on YouTube. Again we’re talking about a homeowner not commercial plowing. I have seen plows on Quad 4 wheelers. I would think a Chevy blazer would rank somewhere between a Quad and an F350.
I have a Ford 350 Transit van, it’s unibody, it can carry more weight (4300#) then the the full frame E350 van I had before. The new unibody vehicles are very solid, ridged.
I’d put a plow on a unibody but obviously it’s nothing like a 1ton pickup. I’m try to decide on something to buy now.

kwired

Electron manager
That’s something I didn’t think about. I have seen unibody vehicles with plows on YouTube. Again we’re talking about a homeowner not commercial plowing. I have seen plows on Quad 4 wheelers. I would think a Chevy blazer would rank somewhere between a Quad and an F350.
I have a Ford 350 Transit van, it’s unibody, it can carry more weight (4300#) then the the full frame E350 van I had before. The new unibody vehicles are very solid, ridged.
I’d put a plow on a unibody but obviously it’s nothing like a 1ton pickup. I’m try to decide on something to buy now.
The 4 wheelers work great I use one for moving snow. They do sort of have depth limits though. You can go through a foot of snow if not too far to push it. If drifted really deep you are probably out of luck. That is when you are probably waiting for that hired plow service to dig you out.

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
I would think you have to listen to the weather report. If they’re calling for 18” inches depending on how heavy and wet it is you have to plow it 2 or even 3 times. Especially if your using a John Deere tractor.