Helpers

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I always went the extra mile to try and groom apprentices when I felt my efforts weren't a waste of time. Even the greenest of the the green can be taught that you show up on time, wear the proper clothes, and listen when someone is trying to teach you. Sometimes bad habits are hard to break but it can be worth the effort if you see something in the person that makes them stand out.

My expectations were always high which some found intimidating but since my time is valuable I expected them to respect that and in the end many of those that I worked with over the years thanked me for it.

kwired

Electron manager
The average length of employment with one company is 4.3 years for men and 3.8 for women. Google

Most American's are now spoiled brat's of any age, IMO . . . I self spoil thank you

You've got to face it, a lot of us are now a generation removed, and I don't care what anyone says it's just
different now. I also believe that you know yourself where this person is at career wise!
Some people are approachable some are not, and I'm sure you know that, I like to call it a person's
personal idiocies (traits) which goes way beyond the Big 5 basic personality traits.

Have you had any career discussions with them?

My best approach for me is to be upfront, honest, consistent and explain the cause and effect of the work. Teach them
to apply it correctly. I've used a few phrase's over the years: "Were here to protect the wire.", "Were here to touch it once",
"No one should need to come back to this work, except to service-repair, or demo", "Everything about this install work should
at 100% in respects to what your doing-thus inspect-able".

What I've surmised as in the many years one has to be hungry for this trade, Or any trade for that matter.
It's either their in or not. All while being be politically correct.
The tell, doesn't take long.(as said)

Self starters is a good sign and from your lessons some aspect should start showing to you, or that you've even reached them.
That is if they even want to be with you. They should remember the previous lessons - when doing a repetitive job... Where going to do this, we'll need this and this and their grabbing the right stuff.

Most of the time for me now it's just a fall-in situation and get it... but new people don't even understand this aspect.
My wife has never lasted that long with one company. The ones she lasted longest with she either worked alone or primarily with men. She can't stand the drama most women tend to bring to the work place and never lasts long when working with women.

jerremy2

New User
Occupation
Designer
There is no answer because it depends on the individual's interest and aptitude.

Some want to learn and pay attention, others just can't wait for the day to end.