High lumen recessed

Hey guys, I have a lab I need to provide and install lighting for. Owner wants recessed. We typically install about 85-90 lumens per SQ foot for these spaces. The framing is 16" OC, so I am looking at maybe an 80" pattern which puts me at 3500-4000 lumens per fixture. I'm not dead set on that 80", but I don't want to install 3.74 zillion fixtures either. Here are a couple products I am looking at:

Any opinions on these or any other ideas?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Certainly a possibility. Was just trying to keep the number of fixtures down a bit, not just for labor but also didn't want the ceiling to look too busy. Would give me a lot more options though going with 6's.
I personally think in high lumen areas 48" centered cans look best. It gives more even light. Its really fast to lay out. And yes more fixtures but not so much to be busy and you can set the ladder to work on 2 at a time so to me the labor is about the same only slightly more than one that needs it moved twice to set a fixture and wire it up. If using a lift the cutoff is 72in where you can set a can and wire between it and the last can if daisy chaining.

I personally think in high lumen areas 48" centered cans look best. It gives more even light. Its really fast to lay out. And yes more fixtures but not so much to be busy and you can set the ladder to work on 2 at a time so to me the labor is about the same only slightly more than one that needs it moved twice to set a fixture and wire it up. If using a lift the cutoff is 72in where you can set a can and wire between it and the last can if daisy chaining.
Good points thanks. Have you done something like this before in a big space? This is prolly 50x60

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Hey guys, I have a lab I need to provide and install lighting for. Owner wants recessed. We typically install about 85-90 lumens per SQ foot for these spaces. The framing is 16" OC, so I am looking at maybe an 80" pattern which puts me at 3500-4000 lumens per fixture. I'm not dead set on that 80", but I don't want to install 3.74 zillion fixtures either. Here are a couple products I am looking at:

Any opinions on these or any other ideas?
Why don't you go with a 2x2 flat panel? You could do a lot better light layout and get a better distribution with a 2x2 then a can.

Ok guys well I settled on these fixtures:

I like that they have a whip built in and have 0-10 dimming. We havnt dimmed any of the other labs, but I will probably do it here since it is minimal extra work.

I didnt realize but 1000bulbs has a nice lighting layout tool, here is a picture of what I am leaning towards. Basically its a 64" pattern. That is only half the space, separated by a soffited HVAC duct. Other half is a bit funkier, has some bumpouts and different dimensions, but mostly the same.

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 16
Ok update:

We changed to these lights:

These have substantially more at 5200 lumens each. I think I can reduce the number of lights. If i bumped up to an 80" pattern, that would be 9x4 and about 115 lumens /sq ft which seems about right (I know i said 85-90 in the OP, but I cant remember the exact lights we used there. They could have been as high 123 lm/sq ft, or the next one would be 103). I am concerned with having them be annoyingly bright to look at however, which makes me wonder if I should stick to the 64" pattern and dim them down. That is 19 more lights to make up though. Advice? 😟 :unsure:

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
I would expect a lab to have many computer screens. A fixture with a more downward pattern may create less reflections on the screens.

I think I am going to stick with the 64" spacing even though that is more light than we need. I would rather have more and dim them down. I did a mock up of one row today, and they are a bit bright to look at. The mock up is the 64" spacing, it would be 4 fixtures for the 80"

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 21

farmantenna

those fixtures you posted are some of the brightest recessed I've seen. The one at 1000bulbs is cheap, too. Wow! How high are the ceilings?

farmantenna

I had to upgrade the recessed lighting in a new, brand new, multimillion dollar home because the EContractor installed 4" GU10 LED fixtures with 480 lumens in a 20-22' ceiling!

farmantenna

wow! that is going to be extremely bright! I would make sure they are sure they need those lumens and install 0-10 dimming wire just in case.