Holding My Cards Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdslotz

We started a new project with this same contractor. This time around I rewrote the terms of their contract to say if payment was not received within 2 weeks of invoicing we reserved our right to stop progress on their job.

Guess what? No payment in 2 weeks. Repeated emails and phone calls with no answer. We walked off the job. They threatened legal action, kicking us off the job, but 2 days later we were the only sub who had a check. Just shows these companies will do whatever it takes to stick it to their subs but in the end if we have our ducks in order we can be on the winning end. We still have 2 more draws on this project and I suspect we will have to fight for them also, but I reserved the right to lien the job if payment is not received in two weeks.

In 7 years of business I have only fired one customer. This customer is the 2nd one that will be fired. No amount of money is worth the headaches of fighting like this. These companies do their business in the mud and drag everybody else into the mud with them.

I am done with these guys. YOU ARE FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things come to mind here.
1) If a GC really wants you to do the job and lets you dictate terms....you are too cheap. Otherwise he would just go to the next sucker.
2) You actually signed up for a second job. What do they say...screw me once, shame on you...........

kwired

Electron manager
Two things come to mind here.
1) If a GC really wants you to do the job and lets you dictate terms....you are too cheap. Otherwise he would just go to the next sucker.
2) You actually signed up for a second job. What do they say...screw me once, shame on you...........

When he signed up for second job he included his own terms and essetially said if you don't comply work stops. Apparently the general agreed to it, not saying he actually read the terms but he did accept them by executing the contract.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We just started a large job we have been dealing with for weeks... months. I had expected contracts at least a week ago with their terms. None yet so I sent mine this morning via email. My terms are not difficult. Billing every month. Big ticket items billed upon delivery to job. 30 days to pay. No pay. No work. We will see.

cdslotz

When he signed up for second job he included his own terms and essetially said if you don't comply work stops. Apparently the general agreed to it, not saying he actually read the terms but he did accept them by executing the contract.

Which tells me he's too cheap

kwired

Electron manager
Which tells me he's too cheap

Maybe.

If you are too expensive you don't get any jobs unless you can sell why you are a good choice regardless of what the price is. Many potential clients shop on price alone - especially if no one makes an effort to tell them why they are a good buy regardless of what price may be.

Everyone has different marketing schemes, some work, some don't, some look good to particular clients but not to others. What kind of competition did he have for same job?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We almost routinely lose largish projects over less than 1% of the total cost. it is just the way things are these days.

We also lose projects where we are the low bidder over other issues.

Some customers we do get are more trouble than they are worth IMO. The sales people generally see it otherwise though.

Status
Not open for further replies.