Home feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

Thanks for the encouragement, now I feel 4 years younger, LOL. Here is part of the e-mail I wrote to the inspector:

Mr. xxx We talked about a Mobile Home in your jurisdiction that needs a new service panel. You mentioned the possibility to bypass a pedestal and go directly from the meter/disconnect to an inside 100 amps panel. There is a 100 amps disconnect at the meter.

Enclosed photos as: #4 shows meter area to old J-Box and photos #12 & #5 show the J-Box. Photos #20, #21 & #22 show the existing Federal Pacific panel.

If you allow it, I would like to use 2-2-2-4 Aluminum Quad Dyke Wire that Home Depot sell as it is the less expensive wiring for this low income situation and enclosing the photos will help you the decision of going directly from the meter to the panel bypassing a pedestal.

My plan is to install the 2-2-2-4 in PVC conduit in a complete run from the meter to the panel in an 18? deep trench and been no familiar with this environment I would like to install an expansion fitting before it reach the inside panel (under the MH), I know this is a short run but use it as a precautionary method.

In a different matter: most of the time, in single resident properties (never worked in MH), I always went to 200 amps services as today demand is greater. Without doing a load calculation in this MH, I see that there is a 60 amps breaker for the furnace, 40 amps for the stove, 30 amps for the water heater, 30 amps for the dryer, three 15 amps breakers for general lighting and three 20 amps breakers for general receptacles. This MH is 28 years old, should I; if the differential cost is minimal upgrade it to 200 amps? ? Will you require it? ? Will be a different game regarding MH? ? Different approach from the AHJ)? ?

kwired

Electron manager
If the 2AWG aluminum is supplying the entire load of a dwelling unit it is acceptable for a 100 amp supply. This is because of allowances in 310.15(B)(7), which were re-written in 2014 NEC and you do have to do some calculating now, but it there are no adjustments needed you still come up with same sizes as allowed in previous NEC editions.

If this conductor is supplying other then a dwelling, not the entire dwelling load, or even more then just a dwelling then table 310.15(16) applies like it does to pretty much everything else, and you would need a 1AWG aluminum conductor for a 100 amp circuit (before any ampacity adjustments are taken into consideration - if adjustments are needed could even require a larger conductor)

Status
Not open for further replies.