Home inspectors wants electrican to access panel box what do you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
My report/quote states: "Zinsco/FPE have many known safety issues that can readily be found by researching them on the Internet. Because of these known problems, we recommend replacement of these panels. In addition, many insurance companies realize that electrical panel replacement is a standard component of home maintenance, and will offer a discount for doing so." (About the only panel I don't feel the need to replace is Square D QO. These panels and breakers seldom have any issues, and I'm happy to relay that customers) I then post the the notice attached from State Farm.

I verbally tell customers that I will not make additions (add circuits) to Zinsco/FPE panels because of what I feel is the liability involved.

I also charge $150 for inspection and report/quote. I get the money on arrival, they get the report within 24hrs. If they use me to replace the service, I will credit the $150 toward the final invoice.

Missed part of the point.
You are unlikely to "impress" or sell the buyers.
You have no contact with buyers.
The seller agent sends a copy of an estimate to the buyers agent.
The buyers agent passes it on to the buyers.

Also sellers prefer to provide credits not repairs unless the repair can be done for less than wanted for a credit.

Good deed, don't charge for a new customer moving?
I'd rather give my time to a charity.
Are you sure your business insurance covers good deeds?
If all I did was give them a piece of paper with some recommendations on it but didn't perform any work, what is there for insurance to cover? If my recommendations were "how to" advice that may be something to cover, but that isn't what I mentioned. Is that really all that much different then telling them I am not interested in fixing their problem liability wise?

active1

Anytime you set foot in a customers home you have liability.
Open a panel, you may be the last one on record to touch it.
Any electrical problem or fire will fall on you.
No matter how slim the chance, they will look for someone to blame.
If it's dangerous you should get a signed, emailed, or even certified mail if not home paper trail of that.

An example.
An electrician was called to fix a pool.
The original electrical was done wrong.
The electrician declined to just make it work and left the power off.
The homeowner ended up getting it working himself.
His daughter was electrocuted.
The homeowner told the police the electrician did the repair.
The electrician was charged with manslaughter and a wrongful death lawsuit.
It was 2 years of legal battles before everything was dropped and the truth came out.

As far as insurance looking at only would likely fall under estimating and be covered.
But you fix or tighten something with no charge / not warranty and it gets questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.