Hot Tub GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

Does a 240 Gfci breaker need the neutral for the test function to work. Will it work without. Wired up a straight 240.v circuit no neutral and test button doesnt trip????. New breaker does same thing.

stickboy1375

four said:
Does a 240 Gfci breaker need the neutral for the test function to work. Will it work without. Wired up a straight 240.v circuit no neutral and test button doesnt trip????. New breaker does same thing.

The GFCI breaker needs the neutral, the internal mechanism of a GFCI require a neutral to function properly...

Last edited:

frizbeedog

stickboy1375 said:
The GFCI breaker needs the neutral, the load probably does not...

I have no issues with straight 240 loads and GFCI with neutral.....

Works great.....but I always land the neutral.

....and I test them to trip at the load end, to be sure.

stickboy1375

four said:

Just out of curiosity, did you try and read the directions that came with the breaker after it did not function?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
four said:
Does a 240 Gfci breaker need the neutral for the test function to work.
You mean a load neutral?

Both stick and friz say neutral is required for the breaker to function properly. They mean you have to land the breaker neutral on the neutral bar.

four

Yes I did look.Couldnt find wiring diagram in directions. I dont see where a straight 240 load that doesnt need neutral will need a neutral for GFCI.

four

There is no load neutral it is a 240v application. I Landed pigtail on neutral bus but there is no to get out of way but there is no neutral.

cadpoint

four said:
The first image is copywrited but you can view it here .

Theres pages of images here, enjoy

Edit : welcome to the forum and whats your handicap ?

Last edited:

frizbeedog

four said:
My handicap is working for ten hours is 95 degree temperature 90 humidity. It sucks the life right out of you

Have some Bushmills..... :grin:

Dude, you've been a member since '03.....stop by more often. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
four said:

The DP GFCI breaker needs the line neutral connected to the neutral bar in order to work properly. A load neutral is not needed. With the test button you should be able to just snap in the breaker and hook the white pigtail to the neutral bar and trip the breaker with the test button.

If that doesn't work you have a bad breaker, no power at the panel or something really funky going on like no ground or neutral in the panel.

RUWired

four said:
There is no load neutral it is a 240v application. I Landed pigtail on neutral bus but there is no to get out of way but there is no neutral.

In the images Cadpoint linked, the piggy tail from the breaker goes to the load side terminal neutral on the breaker, not on the neutral bar.
Rick

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
RUWired said:
In the images Cadpoint linked, the piggy tail from the breaker goes to the load side terminal neutral on the breaker, not on the neutral bar.
Rick

Where do you see that?

four

No offense taken. Havent been on this sight for a while and im trying to get back in swing of things. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.