hot tub pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

the last Hot tub i installed was about 5 or 6 month ago. That particular install took:
- about 2 hours first day ( wnet to look at it, made material list )
- 2 hours (get all the material)
- 6 hours installation ( me and helper)

I think the total came up to $1,290.00, materials and labor.

I have another install coming up, i haven't been able to look at the particular installation yet, but i was wandering if you all have a hot tub fixed rate or ball park figure.
I know i'll be asked and i don't really know what others are charging for that around the area.

Thanks.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Please define what your hot tub is.
Is this a spa thingy outside with heaters, blowers, lights?

Or is this a bubble type tub in a bathroom?

Charlie Bob

yeah, that's why i always tell them i can tell them a price till i see it first.
But for all the work involve, is it fair to say, anywhere between $ 1100-1500.?

Charlie Bob

Please define what your hot tub is.
Is this a spa thingy outside with heaters, blowers, lights?

Or is this a bubble type tub in a bathroom?

It's not whirpool, it's a spa on a patio. Involving all NEC requirements. (but like i said i don't know the particular details about this one yet, sorry)

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I have seen some hot tub things (spas) that require 60 amp feeds.
There are few manufactures that offer a 60 amp "spa box".
Don't forget the 120V receptacle required for maintenance.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
If they have not built the platform yet, ask them if they are pouring concrete.

If there is new concrete you need to get a solid #8 on the re-bar for the equipotential plane.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
my average hot tub install takes 2.5 man hours and costs $950; that's average. Average material cost is $300. two hours to estimate and two hours to get materials seems like an awfully long time. I would work on my estimating time; knock it down to 30 minutes or less. I'll call in any materials I need so its ready when I get to the supply house; just sign and go.

But I also do more than one every six months so I've got a lot of reps in.

Charlie Bob

my average hot tub install takes 2.5 man hours and costs $950; that's average. Average material cost is $300. two hours to estimate and two hours to get materials seems like an awfully long time. I would work on my estimating time; knock it down to 30 minutes or less. I'll call in any materials I need so its ready when I get to the supply house; just sign and go.

But I also do more than one every six months so I've got a lot of reps in.

well the estimating and material time includes travel time.
this is a very small time, and 40 min driving one way to estimate and get materials is not uncommon.
I guess the down side of good ol' country living.:)

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Brantmacga, that sounds very fast and very tight price.
The spa box is over $100, the DP GFI is over $100 and then there are many feet of #6, liquid tight, the DP breaker in the main panel in the house.

We fight with these things. Often it is two trips since we may run the liquid tight before the decking or concrete is put in place.

We recently installed a unit that was totally full of foam between the tub and the sides.

No room at all for the wiring. They had installed a run of PVC from one side of the unit to the control panel. Unfortunately it was on the wrong side of the unit for us.:mad:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Brantmacga, that sounds very fast and very tight price.
The spa box is over $100, the DP GFI is over $100 and then there are many feet of #6, liquid tight, the DP breaker in the main panel in the house.

We fight with these things. Often it is two trips since we may run the liquid tight before the decking or concrete is put in place.

We recently installed a unit that was totally full of foam between the tub and the sides.

No room at all for the wiring. They had installed a run of PVC from one side of the unit to the control panel. Unfortunately it was on the wrong side of the unit for us.:mad:

Sqd spa combo w/ GFI is $110; anyhow like i said, that's the average.

and yes we do them fast. nothing to a spa after you've done a hundred.

Minuteman

Hot Springs Spas provide us a box with a 2P20 a 2P30 installed, and two extra spaces. (Latley they are CH but they used be GE.) From the box to the pool we install 10's and 12's in the whip.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had an install where the homeowner decided he wanted one in his finished basement, sheetrock ceiling throughout, panel on opposite end of basement flush in a finished wall. Luckily the plumber had cut in an access hole in the ceiling near the panel, since the floor joist were 18" trusss, I paid the plumbers 14 year old son to drag a 6-3 through the ceiling to the other end of the basement where I was able to drop down to the tub. Told him the humidity would ruin his sheetrock, but he didn't care he wanted it there.

Charlie Bob

I had an install where the homeowner decided he wanted one in his finished basement, sheetrock ceiling throughout, panel on opposite end of basement flush in a finished wall. Luckily the plumber had cut in an access hole in the ceiling near the panel, since the floor joist were 18" trusss, I paid the plumbers 14 year old son to drag a 6-3 through the ceiling to the other end of the basement where I was able to drop down to the tub. Told him the humidity would ruin his sheetrock, but he didn't care he wanted it there.

that reminds me of one i did. HO wanted it in a 2 car garage.
There was no other way to persuade him, he was hell bent to get it in his garage.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Hot Springs Spas provide us a box with a 2P20 a 2P30 installed, and two extra spaces. (Latley they are CH but they used be GE.) From the box to the pool we install 10's and 12's in the whip.

90% of what i install are the hot springs w/ their own panel. i haven't seen one w/ a 6sp yet though. all the ones we get are 4sp panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.