Hot Tub Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank112

Here we go in circles again. Sometimes the codebook can be so aggravating. 680.42 states that installation of an outdoor hottub shall comply with parts I and II of this article. This seems to be a grey area. I still think that be a feeder or branch circuit, it still needs a copper ground per 680.42(C)

frank112

Kinda defeats the purpose of the copper ground. I guess the best thing to do is call the local ahj. This was installed after the final inspection, but in the end, its there call

james wuebker

You will be OK with the #6 if all termials are rated for 75ca. That should get you at 50 amps. With 6-2wy gar the GFCI will need to be at the main panel so you have your neutral for it. Hopefully this tub only needs 2 hots and the grounding conductor.
Jim

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#1 and smaller lugs are only rated for 60 degrees [unless otherwise lab marked]
#1/0 and larger lugs are 75 degrees [unless otherwise lab marked]
So a #6 Al must be connected to a 40 amp OC to protect the lugs regardless of what the wire temperture rating is.

Their future hot tub would be restricted in an OC of 40amps

David

This is true, but you left out the exception which allows the ampacity to be based on 75 degrees if the terminations on both ends are rated for 75 degrees. Almost all terminations are now rated for 75 degrees so his #6 AL would be good for 50 amps per 310.16.

Status
Not open for further replies.