Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tacomafc said:
680.42 (C) Interior wiring to outdoor installations. This artical says that as long as it is recognized in chapter 3 of the code and that it contains a copper equipment grounding conductor that is INSULATED!!!! SO I think you must then run a conduit with a insulated conductor that is not smaller than a 12 awg. Oh yeah and green as well.

You didn't quote the entire section. You truncated the sentence at "or enclosed within the outer sheath". Sounds like NM is permitted on the inside of the dwelling.

680.42(C) Interior Wiring to Outdoor Installations. In the interior of a one-family dwelling or in the interior of another building or structure associated with a one-family dwelling, any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3 of this Code that contain a copper equipment grounding conductor that is insulated or enclosed within the outer sheath of the wiring method and not smaller than 12 AWG shall be permitted to be used for the connection to motor, heating, and control loads that are part of a self-contained spa or hot tub or a packaged spa or hot tub equipment assembly. Wiring to an underwater light shall comply with 680.23 or 680.33.

satcom

I think we are confusing things a bit here, If you install a sub panel outside near the spa, then you will need an isaulated ground, in the inside wiring, most installers put a gfci disconnect, outside near the spa, in that case they need an insulated ground, just like when you install a sub panel.

It will depend on the type of installation, you are doing, will the spa have lighting in the walls? or is it low voltage lighting, or even fiber, hot tubs, are not a one way install.

Last edited:

Oakey

There is a light in this hot tub. I have the manuf specs here and all they refer to is the 6/3 feed on a gfi breaker and not much else. I plan on using romex and hope I still can.

satcom

Oakey,

Best if you check with your AHJ, you need to file your permit, so you will get a chance to inquire, i am in Central Jersey, and i can't pass using romex, if i have a gfci outside, and we do a large number of hot tub installs.

mgmelec

hot tub

hot tub

i'm also in central jersey, and have never failed, for using romex to the line side of a gfci disco . every inspector has his claim to fame, i agree that you should check with him first, rather than doing the job twice. i've also found that most inspectors will gladly take calls from contractors with code questions. it's also a good idea to get to know the inspectors in the areas you are working .not only, can a quick call can save you time and money, but the embarassment of explaining a red sticker to your customer

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mgmelec said:
i'm also in central jersey, and have never failed, for using romex to the line side of a gfci disco . every inspector has his claim to fame, i agree that you should check with him first, rather than doing the job twice. i've also found that most inspectors will gladly take calls from contractors with code questions. it's also a good idea to get to know the inspectors in the areas you are working .not only, can a quick call can save you time and money, but the embarassment of explaining a red sticker to your customer

I don't see how you could fail. The installation you've described is code compliant. If an inspector says otherwise, what article does he claim has been violated?

satcom

Yes it will depend on how the inspector looks at the installation, is he treating the gfci disco as a sub panel, does the tub have underwater lighting, IMO i think NM ok, but we have had a problem getting it accepted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tacomafc said:
Could you please explain a little more on the whole underwater light thing. And when would you ever call a disco a sub-panel?

What's the definition of a subpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.