House wired all in UF cable, is it legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

I get a call from a guy who bought a bank owned house. The previous owner did ALOT of illegal work......electrical,plumbing you name it.
He had an illegal apt in the basement and the building dept. made him take it down. He complied. He wanted to build two bedrms down there. He framed a few walls. I went in add 8 boxes and 4 smokes. I pulled a permit for that work (8 boxes and 4 smokes exactly)!
Well the whole house was wires in UF cable! (not my work). I spoke with the inspector and we both laughed about it for a while. He went down and looked at it and laughed some more. He thinks it's a violation. "Ive never seem anything like this before." he said. "I have to look into this."
The only thing I can think of is : Is there toxic smell or gas if wire burns in a fire?
Any thoughts?
P.S.
I left my code book on another job I wont be on til next week.

fireryan

I looked in art. 340 and I see no problem with it besides being a pain in the butt to strip.. 340.10 says can be used in wet and dry locations and 340.12 does not prohibit it. Hope that helps

SEO

Per section 340.10 UF would be permitted for interior wiring but shall comply with article 334. I'd look for a lot of skinned conductors.

iaov

I don't think its ileagle, just dumb. UF is more expensive and a total PIA to strip. Speaking of wich, do any of you guys have a good metod for stripping UF??

dcooper

well what it made me think was that who ever wired the house had no idea what they were doing. That is what I think is th real issue. If it were my house I would be very worried about this. I spoke to a couple guys and their response is ' it's above and beyond.' I think it is going to be scary when I start to open boxes and and look at spices. Even if you got the wire for free the extra labor to strip it would still not make it worth while.

Doug S.

I don't think its ileagle, just dumb. UF is more expensive and a total PIA to strip. Speaking of wich, do any of you guys have a good metod for stripping UF??

1: Score perpendicularly, all the way around, pinch, then PUUULLL.
2: Score a little deeper, pinch, then PULLLLLL.
3: Score a little deeper, see the shine of 3 copper strands, cut off and return to step 1

Really, I just slice it down the middle, split it into two with the EGC exposed, and finish up with strippers. That's always worked for me...

Can't stand the stuff. That house has to be bad...

Doug S.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
well what it made me think was that who ever wired the house had no idea what they were doing. That is what I think is th real issue. If it were my house I would be very worried about this. I spoke to a couple guys and their response is ' it's above and beyond.' I think it is going to be scary when I start to open boxes and and look at spices. Even if you got the wire for free the extra labor to strip it would still not make it worth while.

Not to be disagreeable for no reason but I've never found UF so difficult that I wouldn't trade the cost of a house of NM for the labor of stripping it. Don't have any special tool for it. I usually use razor knife. Stab into between one of the insulated conductors and the bare EGC. Strip to the end makeing sure to stay closer to the EGC than the insulated conductor to ensure I don't nick the isulation. After that the two insulated coductor peel innward pretty easy.

Guess it takes about 50% longer than NM

JMO

peter d

I usually strip UF just like NM. Run a razor knife down the middle centered over the ground wire, then pull the ground, hot and neutral out through the slit with linesmans.

electricalperson

i grab one of the conductors and pull to get it started. i do the same with all of them. if youstrip the grey insulation near the top a bit first before you pull the wire it will rip easier. sometimes you can grab it and twist to get it started. or you can use a razor knife and cut the jacket to pull the wires back.

Status
Not open for further replies.