How far back does 210.5 - color coding - go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

My code books go back only to 1993. When did the NEC start requiring phase identification by separate color coding?
Notice 210.5(C)(2)"separate color coding, marking tape, taging, or other approved means."

If it's other approved means or tagging I guess it don't have to be colored - intersting?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
You can always mark them using circuit numbers.
IMO, there should be a standard color code for 120/208v and 277/480v systems ( black, red, blue, brown, orange, yellow) . I guess the NEC thinks it is more important for them to design circuitry and pull neutrals to switches that may never be used. :confused:

480sparky

IMO, there should be a standard color code for 120/208v and 277/480v systems ( black, red, blue, brown, orange, yellow) . I guess the NEC thinks it is more important for them to design circuitry and pull neutrals to switches that may never be used. :confused:

You're more than welcome to submit a proposal.

But the same sentiment gets proposed dozens of times every code cycle with no effect.

iwire

Staff member
Why would it be a bad idea to standardize color codeing? I don't see the problem with that. Please explain.

For me at least two reasons

1) There is no reason that numbering, labeling or other method is not as effective.

2) No one should be making decisions about voltage based on the marking of a conductor.

What voltage is this below?

How long has green been designated as a EGC?

Mixed139-1.jpg

jusme123

Occupation
JW
For me at least two reasons

1) There is no reason that numbering, labeling or other method is not as effective.

2) No one should be making decisions about voltage based on the marking of a conductor.

What voltage is this below?

How long has green been designated as a EGC?

Mixed139-1.jpg

1- Your picture shows someone who obviously doesn't care about the code, regardless of what is written

2- High leg orange.....please explain why its in the code than

3- It standardizes the color coding for different voltage systems and make things a little safer IMO

jumper

1- Your picture shows someone who obviously doesn't care about the code, regardless of what is written

Probably.

No idea, makes no real sense.

3- It standardizes the color coding for different voltage systems and make things a little safer IMO

And how would you deal with all the existing installs?

What about separately colored travelers?

iwire

Staff member

Yes it does.

Why do you think another code rule would be treated any better?

It is not required to be orange it can be marked by other effective means just like any ungrounded conductor.

3- It standardizes the color coding for different voltage systems and make things a little safer

Again, orange is not required to mark a high leg.

But don't try to convince me, you will have to convince the CMP. Have you read any of their comments when turning down 'color standards' in previous cycles?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think we could prevent a lot of unqualified people from working on electrical systems if all conductors were required to be black. Then you would have to have some idea of what you are doing to work on the system:) And it is would increase the man hours required to do a job and I get paid by the hour.

kwired

Electron manager
I think we could prevent a lot of unqualified people from working on electrical systems if all conductors were required to be black. Then you would have to have some idea of what you are doing to work on the system:) And it is would increase the man hours required to do a job and I get paid by the hour.

Other than places where required to be green, white or gray they can all be black. Any other idenitification method is up to the installer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Other than places where required to be green, white or gray they can all be black. Any other idenitification method is up to the installer.
There would be no white or green either in my plan:)...all conductors would be black. Other means of identification would be permitted, but not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.