How is too long II

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

For those of you hitting 40 and more, and you young guys listen.

Did you notice at 40 or so glasses became part of the uniform?

At 50 some of the younger guys could beat you up the stairs?

Getting moving in the morning seems to take longer?

Aches and pains seem to be the norm.

You realize that ahhh so be it and keep going, because that is the way of life.

OH and your mind goes TOO in the title should be TWO.......

I strive to keep in shape and did a battery job keeping pace with a 24 year old putting 480-145 LB jars on 3 racks over 3 days. Unloading moving 3 floors and taking old batteries off and new on, damn near killed me, but I was not going to have this young whipper snapper beat me (a good guy). Not sure how much longer I can keep that pace.

Now for you under 40, smoking will only multiply this aging process.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I turn 50 on the 21st.

Went out hiking with some kids a while back, after about an hour I said it's time to take a break. One of the kids asked, getting old? I just looked at him and said, yes, yes I am, I've got 35 years on you guys and I used to be you guys, your time will come.:grin:

Put off the glasses until I was 42, but now I can't even fake trying to read something.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One of my dads favorite sayings was: "use your head to save your back". The older I get the more important I find that saying.

bbaumer

This is gonna sound like an advertisement, and maybe it is, but I'll say it anyway.

Just turned 38. Used to be very active, worked out 3 days a week and played in an adult basketball league two days.

Quit doing that about 10 years ago and became mostly sedentary for various reasons, excuses really.

Kids are bigger and more active and realized I was huffing and puffing while doing minimal physical activity with them. I was feeling very old.

Heard good things from some of my archery buddies about the P90X program. Yes, the infomercial one. Bought the program several months ago and have been pretty good about doing the excercise portion, not so good on the diet, since. In spite of my diet shortcomings my strength, flexibility, endurance and overall "wind" have improved dramatically. My waistline has gone down quite a bit too.

I highly recommend this, or any exercise program. It WILL make you feel better and younger. You may be used to being on your feet all day working in the trade, but it not the same as specific cardio and strength training.

You don't need a lot of equipment either. Just need to get moving rather than watching TV or surfing the net for an hour or so every day.

fisherelectric

"One of my dads favorite sayings was: "use your head to save your back". The older I get the more important I find that saying."

Me and my 2 lead men are all 54. A few years back I hired a couple college kids for the summer to help wire some houses we were doing. Ninety+ degree days. By early afternoon these kids were exhausted and couldn't believe us old guys were working circles around them. Made us feel good.

brian john

John one of the more realizing moments for me was hiking with my kids I use to carry most of the stuff and beat them up the hills. Now I barely make it, when you hit the point where they pass you it is a moment in time.

Though on the kayak trip last month I lead the way all 171 miles and was told by my wife that my son said it was all he could do to hang with me.

cschmid

So this is the old timers thread of threads..I still don't have glasses although I carry a magnifying lense in my wallet..I now have age related diabetes..I still feel good when I out work the youngsters..the feeling in my fingers is not as good as it use to be but over all I feel pretty good..I like what I do and being active is a good thing as you grow older..destiny from birth is death no two ways around it and everyone does it..Thank you Jesus for the gift..

gndrod

over the hill

over the hill

Hi Brian,

Good stuff here. Keeping in shape is not as tough as seeing small details. (aside from age, too much computer time has changed eyesight also) Seems that overall knowledge and experience helps balance out keeping up with the young guys. rbj

brian john

It was never my Motto, stay in shape eat right die anyway, I was going to beat that monster and all the pills that come with it. Till it almost happened to me, I work out regularly 4-5 days a week, vegetarian and was going from the gym to the health food store and WHAM, heart attack. Life is what it is and deals it out accordingly. Genetics have a major role in all this.

Thanks Mom

cowboyjwc

Staff member
brian john said:
John one of the more realizing moments for me was hiking with my kids I use to carry most of the stuff and beat them up the hills. Now I barely make it, when you hit the point where they pass you it is a moment in time.

Though on the kayak trip last month I lead the way all 171 miles and was told by my wife that my son said it was all he could do to hang with me.

LOL, yeah I kind of even remember it happening. I also coach 13-15 year old baseball, it's sad that most of them can throw harder than me, not that I ever really had an arm to begin with.

The great thing about old age is the wisdom that comes with it. On the hike I was the only one that knew where we were and how to get home.:grin:

I do like to take some credit for things though, my son is becoming a heck of a shot, but I'm the one that taught him. He's become pretty good at reading sign, but again.......Like they say "Youth is wasted on the young."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can still outwork the kids. I find I need glasses for reading the smaller print that I can't back up far enough to read.

"They's my readin' glasses." ~ Mr. Tipton in My Cousin Vinny

cowboyjwc said:
The great thing about old age is the wisdom that comes with it. On the hike I was the only one that knew where we were and how to get home.:grin:
That and the wisdom that comes with having the car keys in your pocket. ;)

Last edited:

cschmid

brian john said:
It was never my Motto, stay in shape eat right die anyway, I was going to beat that monster and all the pills that come with it. Till it almost happened to me, I work out regularly 4-5 days a week, vegetarian and was going from the gym to the health food store and WHAM, heart attack. Life is what it is and deals it out accordingly. Genetics have a major role in all this.

Thanks Mom

Man I am there..I was not going to be one thoughs guys with the fist full of pills but I take my insulin meds everyday and smile..dang them genetics get you every time..

ceb58

I will be 50 this month also, and to be very honest the last few days has whipped me. 98 deg. with the humidity, butt kicker. But I did reflect on my age this weekend, my 17 year old worked with me all day drilling and running pipe by 3:00pm we both had had enough. He comes home takes a shower and said, I'm gone. Where are you going? To find a new girlfriend and away he goes. It's all I could do to make it to the shower and think that was me years ago.:)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
peter d said:
Glasses became part of my uniform in the 11th grade. And I'm still way under 40. :roll:
I have 3 pairs of 125's and a pair of 135's. I currently trying to acquire a magnifying glass and a telescope.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Went to the Dr on Thursday for a cortisone shot in my elbow and shoulder and ended up on blood pressure meds. They compliment my cholesterol meds.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.