How long is the warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I offer a 10year workmanship warranty. But was thinking about it today that why can't i offer a longer warranty? If no one touches my installation i don't see why it wouldn't last longer than 10years. IMO, longer warranty is a good selling point.

I guess my 2 part question is:

1. How long of a warranty do you offer for your installation?
2. What could go wrong with an installation as it ages?

one year from completion.
ten years for latent defects.

that is required of every licensed contractor in calif.
i wouldn't warrant any longer than that.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Well I tried to edit that other post that I just posted and screwed up and wound up posting nearly identical so instead of deleting it I changed this one, luckily I offer lifetime warantee on quality of posts, send SASE for refund.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'll fix something if it was my fault that it failed, I agree that the 10 year is more of a marketing tool.

I seem to have very few unpaid go-backs, unlike the 80's and 90's when I had employees. Not that I don't make mistakes but I seem to catch many of my mistakes before the customer does.

Most recent warrantee work was an electronic ballast failed 3 weeks after installed, I furnished it so did new ballast and trip for free. Unlike a while back when a nearly new motion sensor furnished by customer failed in a few months, customer did not seem to be expecting me to bill for labor. So she learned from the experience.

When customers ask me about warrantee on labor, I say something to the effect that if I do something wrong I'll fix it for free, I don't really care how long, and stress how long I've been in business (30-something years) to give the impression that I'll still be around years from now if they need me, at this point I'm not planning ever getting too old too work and so far that's been working out pretty good for me.

Strife

I offer workmanship warranty not material warranty. The material warranty is 90 days, if it fails within 90 days, I will change it for free if it fails after 90 days then they pay for the replacement part plus my labor.
SQUARE-D offers a 10 year warranty on the load centers, but if the panel fails then i charge for the labor of the replacement. It was the product that failed not may workmanship.

ROTFL
Ummm....
So where exactly is the 10 years warranty?
Got news for you, it's always the material that fails. Never seen a "stick of workmanship fail"
Now the workmanship will affect how fast the materials installed will fail, but it's still the materials that fail.

kwired

Electron manager
ROTFL
Ummm....
So where exactly is the 10 years warranty?
Got news for you, it's always the material that fails. Never seen a "stick of workmanship fail"
Now the workmanship will affect how fast the materials installed will fail, but it's still the materials that fail.

In 10 years the perfectly arranged conductors inside the panel will still be perfectly arranged if no one tampered with any of them:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.