Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
rustyryan34 said:
How old you are?
I'm 53.

How long have you worked in the electrical field?
I did my first service upgrade when I was 16. 53 - 16 = 37.

Do you work for someone or own you own company?
The latter, but I often wonder . . .

I was just wondering till what age you plan on still working out in the field?
Forever.

brian john

Maybe I should start cutting grass, that's more than I make now!!

When Iwas in Middle School I mowed lawns for a GC, 1.50 a yard, (we supplied mower and gas). I just bought gas to mow my yard $20.00, just for the gas.

hillbilly

How old you are?....57

How long have you worked in the electrical field?.....35+ years

Do you work for someone or own you own company?....Own

Until the postman stops coming to my house.

I didn't realize that there were so many people close to my age on this site.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one getting "long in the tooth" that still has to work.

steve

Brady Electric

How long is to long?

I'm a day late and a dollar short answering these questions according to every-ones answers

Age 59

34 years in trade which started in 1974 after after spending 6 years active USMC and tour in Nam

30 years self employed using someone as my qualified person until I got my state license in 1984 after working for other companies to get experience

Retire what's that?
At my age now I have slowed down to working just one man and don't take on big jobs anymore
I love electrical work and enjoy working everyday and always intend to do so
By slowing down my work load I make enough money to get buy and spend time working with horses which is my other interest
Which would only be possible with my wife working and having good benefits

I have six acres, a tractor, two dogs, one house cat, one barn cat, three goats, one rooster, one hen to keep him happy and get one egg a day, and last but not least five horses
No matter what kind of day I have when I turn down my driveway its like driving into heaven's gate
As soon as all the animals hear my 2000 diesel dully they all come running and say hello in there own way

I would like to thank rustyman34 for asking these questions and to everyone that answered
Seeing the stats on our trade is interesting but its also good to learn more about everyone that you trade conservation with on a daily basis

Someone once said if you enjoy your job its not like work
That's how I feel

Hope all of you have a GREAT DAY
Semper Fi Buddy

JohnE

I'm 39. Started working with one of my father's crews before high school and worked all through high school and college.

Been doing it full time since 21 after graduateing with a EE degree. So it's either 18 years, 27 years, or something in between.

I've ownded and run the company for 10 years.

I'm in the field now after spending a few years not working with the tools. I plan on being in the field until I retire. That doesn't bother me because if I can't stay in good enough shape to be in the field, then I won't be in good enough shape to enjoy what I like to do for recreation.

tryinghard

rustyryan34 said:
I just had a couple questions for everyone,

How old you are?

Employee currently, also own company for 8 years
I actually just figured out what I want to do when I grow up so I think I?ll stay into my 70?s :cool:

SmithBuilt

How old you are? 40

How long have you worked in the electrical field? 15

Do you work for someone or own you own company? My own company, and yes I get weary of chasing the money. Overall I think it's worth it, but there are times if the right job offer come along....

I was just wondering till what age you plan on still working out in the field? I would like to continue working in some capacity until I'm not capable.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
50 (in two weeks)

31 years (12 in the field, 19 as an inspector)

Never cared to own my own business, though I've had my license since 1990.

Yeah, right:mad: If I work until I'm 70 I can retire at 96.72% of my pay at the time.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
A recent editorial in "Engineering News Record" magazine said that the average age of people in the construction industry from labors on up to the engineers and senior managers is 54.
And there seems to be quite a number of forum members that exact age, and quite a few more who are close. Add my name to the "54 club." :grin:

I've been an engineer for 33 years, but a PE for only the last 21 of those. I plan to retire before the age of reason departs, or whenever I can afford to become a professional photographer, whichever comes first.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
growler said:
George you will make a great engineer, I have never worked with one yet that could spell.
Ten yoo heven't werked wiff mee, cuzz Iz gud et spallen. ;)

I iz gud et maff two. Semone onze toll me dat "pie ar skwarr." But I new dat waz not rit. Pie ar roond. Kornbred are skwarr. :grin:

BryKey

How old you are? 44

How long have you worked in the electrical field? 10 years, Retired from Law Enforcement.

Do you work for someone or own you own company? Someone else.

I was just wondering till what age you plan on still working out in the field? I have been out of the field for 3 years. Spent 2 years in the Safety department before being laid off then Hired as a Training Manager with my current employer.

fisherelectric

I'm 54 with 35 years in the trade. Run my own outfit since 1980 and only regret that I didn't really get my act together til in my late thirties...so it goes. Don't work in the field too much anymore but do enjoy when I do. Still like buyng new tools and using them. Retire? I'd be thrilled with a 2 week vacation.

macmikeman

Almost 53. Thirty years in the trade. I did retire once after buying and selling houses in Hawaii. It got boring pretty quick. Less than a year later I started bidding housewiring jobs again. But now I force myself to take 4 weeks a year vacation at least, even if I just stay at home.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Now 42, got late start 10yrs ago after Military & college. Will contract or employ where social security numbers are still wanted; unless you guys stop showing me how.

mdshunk said:
The municipal electric utility in my area is hiring for a ground hand at this very moment. That's how most people start. ..they pay for the school too. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Ground work is doable at age 40. Tools take the beating, clothes take the weather, I took orders & laughed out load at myself in front of others. Advanced quickly for reliability. May have stayed, but wasn't with POCO, no public policy, "At Will" suffers layoff. If POCO uses (PERS) Public Employees Retirement, be sure your OK with losing all contributions to social security retirement.

Brady Electric said:
No matter what kind of day I have when I turn down my driveway its like driving into heaven's gate. As soon as all the animals hear my 2000 diesel dully they all come running and say hello in there own way

Do you think the animals would mind if I borrowed your truck, and put on your hat for a few days?

electricalperson

rustyryan34 said:
I just had a couple questions for everyone,

How old you are?

im 24

had my license 2 years, went to trade school for 4, completed 4 year apprenticeship. if you count trade school then its 10 years in the field.

i work for someone and hopefully soon ill start my business up when i get the money in place.

i plan on working in the field until the electrical gods tell me to quit :grin:

peter d

iwire said:
Pete, you are aware the POCO works 24/7 right? :grin:

Quite aware..with very good pay and benefits to boot. :cool:

However, I'm not looking for a line position. I'm interested in a field engineer position or something similar.

peter d

electricalperson said:
i work for someone and hopefully soon ill start my business up when i get the money in place.

I'll finance your business. However, there is a catch. You have to do all the work and you have to do what I tell you. :D

Strahan

I'm 28 soon to be 29. My senior year of high school I attended tech school and landed a job in an industrial setting through co-op. Had to get parents to sign all necessary papers because only was 17. Worked at same plant while I attended college. Since then worked for 2 other plants and now have landed my dream job and have been with it for 5years as a technician plcs and all that good process controls including all the 3phase and motor control stuff. Residential never really excited me. Yes I have done plenty of it but now have an office job and still get action in the field (the best of both worlds) I like the design and trouleshooting that goes along with my job now. I will retire when uncle sam says I can I guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How long is too long

Well, I will ask you this-- Are any of these too long?

giraffee.JPG
african-elephant2.jpg
stingray.jpg

They are as long as necessary to survive

Status
Not open for further replies.