How long should Metal Halide ballasts last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Thanks for the reply. I figured that a ballast SHOULD last at least 5 years, but probably closer to 10 years under 'normal' circumstances.

These lights are inside, about 40' up, in a boat repair shop. I don't think that heat is an issue, but it's possible that it is. Perhaps in the summer time it gets pretty hot up there.

Thanks again.
With a 40' height, I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least 15-20 deg F higher if you don't have adequate air circulation. Adding some circulating/exhaust fans and/or roof vents can make a big difference. Spray insulation makes a big difference on heat coming in from a metal roof.

Sprinklers on a hot roof can really help bring the temperature down, but may be more practical in a temporary situation vs on a day-to-day basis. I have done this for temporary gatherings in uninsulated metal buildings.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, it does get hot. But, this building has the exact same setup directly adjacent to it, and the ballasts are lasting much longer. So I have a 'control' to compare to. There are also paddle fans running up high near the ceiling.

I'm beginning to think that the lights were just plain cheap. Has anyone had any problems with any specific brand names?

Thanks guys.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.