• 20-30

Votes: 67 22.8%
  • 30-40

Votes: 67 22.8%
  • 40-50

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Over 50

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • I forgot. What was the question again, sonny?

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbwireman

Started trade school in 1957---the days of "STAR DRILLS" for a hole in concrete..

Re-arranging "stuff" in the garage a few weeks ago, I discovered that I still own one. Explaining it's use to my 26 Y.O JW nephew earned me a look that I imagine I might have gotten if I had tried to explain proper "fingernail removal with pliers" technique.

iwire

Staff member
Re-arranging "stuff" in the garage a few weeks ago, I discovered that I still own one. Explaining it's use to my 26 Y.O JW nephew earned me a look that I imagine I might have gotten if I had tried to explain proper "fingernail removal with pliers" technique.

:D

I bought a Star drill maybe 5 years ago, I was on a service call while my work truck was being repaired so I did not have my hammer drill. I had to make holes for toggle bolts in block. I still keep it but doubt it will get much use.

When I first got in the local, as an apprentice I was working for a GF who did not like college graduates. So he made me use a 3lb hammer and star drill to make 1/2 inch holes in 10" thick poured concrete. I did not complain and after about 6 holes, he let me use modern tools. ;)
We became fast friends and I was in contact with him (during his retirement) until just a couple of years ago.
Little did he know, that I worked for my father who was/is a dinasour and I was introduced to the construction industry with hand tools. The only power tools he had were a heavy metal cased drill and a heavier metal cased skill saw.:cool:

TOOL_5150

:D

I bought a Star drill maybe 5 years ago, I was on a service call while my work truck was being repaired so I did not have my hammer drill. I had to make holes for toggle bolts in block. I still keep it but doubt it will get much use.

I didnt even know what the heck a star drill was. Looks like a chisel. I thought a star had 5 points? It is more like a cross. I think its about bed time. :cool:

~Matt

TOOL_5150

Heres a pic of a "star drill"

star-drill.jpg

~Matt

gndrod

Old guy

Old guy

I started in 1955 wiring communication systems for RCA Government Service. I know a little something about star drills and linen plans. Studied for an EE but never matriculated. Learned how to hack residential in the mid 60's while doing aerospace wiring systems design as a day job. I just write and inspect occasionally. rbj

iwire

Staff member
I didnt even know what the heck a star drill was. Looks like a chisel.

Put it against cement, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it, hit it hard with a few pound hammer, turn it,

Status
Not open for further replies.