I Can't make it in Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

One thing that you need to keep in perspective: you've heard in this thread that San Francisco is paying $43 and NYC is paying $46 on the check. This is pay for union shops in two of the most expensive cities in the country. That pay is not at all representative of "normal" electrician pay. Don't let that fool you.

Yes, you can make that, but you will pay an awful lot to live even near those cities.

In this area, $20-35 an hour is normal for a journeyman, with foremen running very large projects making around $40-50. I have no clue what the union pay scale is but it can be easily discovered by calling the local union.

I'd say for an "average" journeyman, the $20-30 range is pretty typical. And that is for New England, where the cost of living runs much higher than most of the country.

jamesguy10

Here in upsate NY i make $25.00/hour working for myself, a few of my union friends make $25.07/hr or something like that. The cost of living here is relatively low, gas is alright

sparky_magoo

From the mid eighties to the late nineties I performed commercial work exclusively. Much of the time was spent working for I.B.E.W. Shops. During that period, I made great money.

I performed specialty work however. The union shops used Digital Equiptment Corp. business computers to control high-end access control, security, surveilance, and lghting control systems in buildings. Multiple buildings would be networked together.

I used to work at the Stanford Research Institute on these computers and
electrical systems. A union contractor hired me away. I challanged the test and started as a foreman.

I would do most of the pipe work in the control rooms, but most of my time was spent wiring, programmming, and training (customers & co-workers).

The systems I am trained in are obsolete. Rather than keeping up on current technology, I spent my time maintaing old stuff.

I ended up roping houses for a living. I can run conduit well, but I am slow at it. I am a service tech. I only end up on new construction when service is slow.

So my wages have gone through a bell curve. Sorry for the long post, but you asked a a got a general card.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
People often forget working union scale with organized shops can be temporary, with substantial waiting periods between gigs, even if your willing to travel and show up at every locals' roll call in the morning.

Some claim side work keeps them busy between gigs, but if you're not experienced enough to generate your own side work, a mentor is needed to break-out of this mold. A Mentor might be a one-man contractor, looking for a helper, who pays like a helper, but perhaps relies on your responsibility, organization and service vehicle to sustain the work load?

In California the prospect of legally charging contractor rates, seeking vouchers for your contractor exam, starting with owner permits, municipal licensing under $500 per project, and cheep ads, is a giant leap for Joe employee, illegal for union members, but perhaps one small step for the right mentor's apprentice who becomes the right-hand man.

I understand IBEW in metropolitan New York doesn't use travelers; so if its not your home local, listing you on Book 1, you can't work with your union in this region. Travelers on book 2 tell me its an 18 month wait for work in Las Vegas. Not sure how much of the SF Bay area operates this way? For local 40, the Studios in Hollywood, my book-2 wait was 6-12 months for short-term projects. During the last year or so, Book 2 at Local 11 in Los Angeles couldn't use me without specialized certification in instrumentation, welding, or other specialties, but I have no way of knowing if my experience is a reasonably-represented average for other traveling members.

Last edited:

khixxx

brian john said:
Washington DC is pleading for skilled, qualified, professional electricians. Scale is around $32.00 plus bennies

Must be true, My buddies commute from the other side of Hagerstown for work in DC, and Baltimore I am talking up to Chambersburg PA.

www.indeed.com is a nice search site for work. check out www.newspaperlinks.com for local new papers.

personality goes along way. a guy that is likable will most likely get more money than a guy that everyone hates.

I wish there was a National certification, meaning you can be licensed in MD and still can work in CA. It is extremely hard to go to a state that does not recognize your license. The system that is in place now is creating a bottleneck for skilled workers wanting to come into a state.

LawnGuyLandSparky

ramsy said:
People often forget working union scale with organized shops can be temporary, with substantial waiting periods between gigs, even if your willing to travel and show up at every locals' roll call in the morning.

Keep in mind not every local operates the same way, and to give serious consideration to the source of your information, and any adgenda they might have to misinform you.

Most locals have a book you sign, and need only re-sign every so often to keep your place. Sitting in a lobby waiting for a call went out with the Dodo bird. Others allow resigning via phone, fax, email, mail, or a combination.

Also, many locals allow the contractor to keep a %, if not all of his manpower from job to job. So the end of a gig might not mean the end of a job.

Some claim side work keeps them busy between gigs, but if you're not experienced enough to generate your own side work, a mentor is needed to break-out of this mold. A Mentor might be a one-man contractor, looking for a helper, who pays like a helper, but perhaps relies on your responsibility, organization and service vehicle to sustain the work load?

In California the prospect of legally charging contractor rates, seeking vouchers for your contractor exam, starting with owner permits, municipal licensing under $500 per project, and cheep ads, is a giant leap for Joe employee, illegal for union members, but perhaps one small step for the right mentor's apprentice who becomes the right-hand man.

I understand IBEW in metropolitan New York doesn't use travelers; so if its not your home local, listing you on Book 1, you can't work with your union in this region.

It's via BA to BA referral only. The local last had travelers in 99-00.

Travelers on book 2 tell me its an 18 month wait for work in Las Vegas. Not sure how much of the SF Bay area operates this way? For local 40, the Studios in Hollywood, my book-2 wait was 6-12 months for short-term projects. During the last year or so, Book 2 at Local 11 in Los Angeles couldn't use me without specialized certification in instrumentation, welding, or other specialties, but I have no way of knowing if my experience is a reasonably-represented average for other traveling members.

Status
Not open for further replies.