I never heard this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
An appliance installer told me "For a microwave circuit I just tap into the range circuit behind the stove and install one of these View attachment 12341 where the microwave hood will plug into" And of course first thing out of my

mouth was "no you can not tap into the range circuit with 12 awg wires"

The only code section that I was able to give him was the Tap rules. Then again I was thinking about it and the 12 awg is protected with a 15 amp fuse, however, the ground fault protection is 40 Amps.

But I still could not say it a unsafe install based on XXX code section.

Any comments please.

iwire

Staff member
An appliance installer told me "For a microwave circuit I just tap into the range circuit behind the stove and install one of these View attachment 12341 where the microwave hood will plug into" And of course first thing out of my

The only code section that I was able to give him was the Tap rules. Then again I was thinking about it and the 12 awg is protected with a 15 amp fuse, however, the ground fault protection is 40 Amps.

Any comments please.

There are rules for branch circuit taps and this does not fit.

For a range circuit see 210.19(A)(3) exception 1.

In my opinion a microwave is not a 'wall mounted oven' but I guess an inspector could see it otherwise.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
There are rules for branch circuit taps and this does not fit.

For a range circuit see 210.19(A)(3) exception 1.

In my opinion a microwave is not a 'wall mounted oven' but I guess an inspector could see it otherwise.

I see the 210.19(A)(3) exc:1 may apply if the microwave is considered an oven. In this case if the installer added the pictured receptacle with the fuse, then I really can not red tag his install. Unless of course I don't see the microwave as an oven.

iwire

Staff member
I see the 210.19(A)(3) exc:1 may apply if the microwave is considered an oven. In this case if the installer added the pictured receptacle with the fuse, then I really can not red tag his install. Unless of course I don't see the microwave as an oven.

Well, if you do tap the range branch circuit with a fuse I guess it becomes a feeder and at that point wouldn't you have to do load calculations to make sure the newly created feeder is in NEC compliance?

Esthy

What is the name of this receptacle/fuse combination? Maybe it should be call "Tucson combo" as it is extensively use in that area for tapping circuits. Inspectors never questioned those, at least in the past.

Been new here with only 300, I congratulate iwire for his 50K+ post, you are a good asset to this forum. Are you with the most posts?

Esthy

No, this is your hobby, you enjoy it and enjoy helping others. Any of those days I will have the pleasure of meeting you in person. In the way you help in this forum demonstrate that you are a fine man, a man of a character. God bless you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One of the washer/ Dryer manufacturer used to make a setup where you plug a device similar to what is shown into a 4 wire dryer receptacle and that would have a breaker or fuses and a 120v receptacle for the washer

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The unit I am talking about is similar to this built in setup on this dryer. The receptacle to the right was for a 240V washer. I think this was a Bosch unit

ry%3D480

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
All this is fine, How do you address that most if not ALL built in Micros require a Dedicated Branch Circuit.
Then is this tap from a 50 amp or a 40 amp branch circuit.

iwire

Staff member
All this is fine, How do you address that most if not ALL built in Micros require a Dedicated Branch Circuit.
Then is this tap from a 50 amp or a 40 amp branch circuit.

If you tap the range branch circuit it becomes a feeder and the new circuit created would be a dedicated branch circuit.

I still think load calculations would prevent this unless the range circuit was oversized to begin with.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Any comments please.

Another thought what 'if' 210.8(A)(7)?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you tap the range branch circuit it becomes a feeder and the new circuit created would be a dedicated branch circuit.

I still think load calculations would prevent this unless the range circuit was oversized to begin with.
Slightly interesting semantic issue here:
Before you make the tap, the conductor is not a feeder, but after you make the tap it is. So is it a feeder tap?

Slightly interesting semantic issue here:
Before you make the tap, the conductor is not a feeder, but after you make the tap it is. So is it a feeder tap?

Also are we sure it's a feeder? If the range doesn't have an ocpd it seems the feeder is supplying the range which is a paradox and the universe ends, or does the feeder split into two branch circuits at the tap?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Also are we sure it's a feeder? If the range doesn't have an ocpd it seems the feeder is supplying the range which is a paradox and the universe ends, or does the feeder split into two branch circuits at the tap?

This has come up in the forum before and has pretty well been discussed to death.
IMO there is nothing in either the NEC definitions or the rules that prevents s single run of conductor from being part of a feeder and part of a branch at the same time.
In that case both feeder rules and branch rules would apply to those wires and the more restrictive would apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.