If you fail an inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE

I've got not problem with the rants on inspectors. If someone is out of line with the rant, I think enough forum members will let them know.

There are enough "bad" inspectors who enforce their own ideas, will not discuss the code with you, and/ or are inconsistent to warrant the rant. There are many more good inspectors, but they do not make for as interesting a discussion.

dlhoule

Brad said:
communication between those that enforce the Code and those that strive to understand it need to be improved

Now wait a minute Brad, those that enforce the Code should also strive to understand it.

When HO wants a bid on work to sell house and the Elec Inspector has issued list of corrections to be made:
1. Correct wiring in attic
2. Correct wiring in basement
3. Correct wiring in garage

You call and actually after 11 phone calls actually talk to inspector and find out he has given homeowner a list of what needs to be done. He then hangs up. You have a copy of the only list HO is aware of. :x :x

Now all you inspectors tell me why we shouldn't on occasion be upset with your lofty profession.

Having said that: It is rare I have a problem with any inspector.
:) :) :) :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
inspector23 said:
My guess is none of the moderators are inspectors, or else if they are they take no offense with the post
Not true. Ryan Jackson is an Inspector. My guess is that when he read (or when will read, if he hasn't seen it yet) the comment about buying Inspectors, he'll get a hearty laugh out of it.

inspector23 said:
. . . yet when a post was assumed to be construed as possibly offending a contractor, it is removed - and none of the moderators will step up and admit removing it, or explain their reason(s) for the removal
When in my view a post offers insult or offense to anyone, whether or not the offense was intentional, I will take an appropriate action. Sometimes that involves deleting the post or deleting the thread in its entirety. Sometimes I just edit out the offending language. I will usually leave some indication that I have taken that action. I may type a comment within the existing post, something to the effect that I had edited out some manner of offending language. I may submit a separate post of my own, explaining that I had deleted a post that I had found to be offensive.

But such actions are rare. I think I may have intervened fewer than a dozen times in the past three years, for posts that contained inappropriate language or that offered insult to any person or group of persons. I think that the vast majority of our members treat each other with respect, regardless of what position they hold within the electrical profession (i.e., electrician or contractor or engineer or inspector or instructor or student).

dnem

dlhoule said:
When HO wants a bid on work to sell house and the Elec Inspector has issued list of corrections to be made:
1. Correct wiring in attic
2. Correct wiring in basement
3. Correct wiring in garage

You call and actually after 11 phone calls actually talk to inspector and find out he has given homeowner a list of what needs to be done. He then hangs up. You have a copy of the only list HO is aware of. :x :x

I hope this wasn't in the same jurisdiction that had the $50/100/500 graduating reinspection fee scale.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
bdarnell said:
communication between those that enforce the Code and those that strive to understand it need to be improved

dlhoule said:
Now wait a minute Brad, those that enforce the Code should also strive to understand it.

Point taken, Larry, and I agree. But are we talking about home inspectors here or municipal inspectors ? I thought the thread was on city inspectors, so maybe I should start at the top and re-read it.

I only ask this because you mentioned corrections that a HO has to do prior to a sell. I wasn't aware that city inspectors came in on home sales. But, again, I could be wrong.

Regards

ryan_618

charlie b said:
inspector23 said:
My guess is none of the moderators are inspectors, or else if they are they take no offense with the post
Not true. Ryan Jackson is an Inspector. My guess is that when he read (or when will read, if he hasn't seen it yet) the comment about buying Inspectors, he'll get a hearty laugh out of it.

Indeed. I did get a laugh out of it. It takes quite a lot to offend me. :)

tonyi

Jim W in Tampa said:
I always play inspector first and am harder on myself than most will be.

Same here.

I also try not to leave some area with too many "details to be completed later"...like strapping to spec, tightening set screws, etc. That stuff is easily forgotten or overlooked if not done on the spot.

Some guys throw all the pipe in and worry about support/straps later so it can look like a lot is accomplished quickly, but to my mind that just means revisiting an area multiple times and actually takes more time in the long run. I really hate moving 12' ladders around unless I have to :lol:

dlhoule

bdarnell said:
bdarnell said:

dlhoule said:

Point taken, Larry, and I agree. But are we talking about home inspectors here or municipal inspectors ? I thought the thread was on city inspectors, so maybe I should start at the top and re-read it.

I only ask this because you mentioned corrections that a HO has to do prior to a sell. I wasn't aware that city inspectors came in on home sales. But, again, I could be wrong.

Regards

Some of the communities here require an inspection done by the city before they will allow a new owner to take occupancy.

dnem: There were no increase in fees and we did manage to get that electrical inspector fired. It did take about 2 1/2 years though.

3 small cities here require Certificate of Occupancy Inspections everytime the name on the water meter changes. Ownership or rentals.
Remember we don't have a state income tax & the muni's take every oppurtinuty to stick another fee on you to raise revenues.

dnem

bdarnell said:

It's my guess that most building departments don't do residential point of sale inspections. But there are many cities that have maintenence and point of sale inspectors on their payroll. If they uncover violations, a building department inspector is scheduled for an inspection after the corrections are made.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.