Improving Power factor to compensate for resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not a lot ambiguous about as far as I can tell.

"The 3 phase load is balanced and draws 120 KW at 440 Volts"
That reads to me like the load draws......at 440V. If the load was not at 440V wouldn't it draw something different to 440V?
And, as you know, the voltage drop also depends on the X as well as the R component and that would depend on cable type and method of installation.
I think we can reasonably leave that speculation out of the question as posed, don't you?

An assumption not justified - see above. So don't make it.

So, we are back to the straightforward PFC problem as stated in post #1.
OK, I get it. But in making this call, you are then assuming that the wire resistance and circuit length were unnecessary elements thrown into the problem as red herrings then. So really, it just dends on which parts of this problem we chose to accept as flawed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
OK, I get it. But in making this call, you are then assuming that the wire resistance and circuit length were unnecessary elements thrown into the problem as red herrings then. So really, it just dends on which parts of this problem we chose to accept as flawed.
Perhaps this will help. Prior to power factor correction, the conductor ampacity would be exceeded rendering the resistance value invalid for a voltage drop considerations before the fact. So what values should we consider as before the fact and after the fact. I'd say consider them all as after the fact.

Besoeker

For both you and Smarts, I stated in my first post, #2 in this thread, that I believed that to be a red herring.
And the OP has answered the question as it was given.

I don't understand the propensity for unnecessarily complicating it significantly beyond what was actually asked.
But if either of you want to take a pop at solving a question that wasn't asked, go right ahead.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For both you and Smarts, I stated in my first post, #2 in this thread, that I believed that to be a red herring.
And the OP has answered the question as it was given.

I don't understand the propensity for unnecessarily complicating it significantly beyond what was actually asked.
But if either of you want to take a pop at solving a question that wasn't asked, go right ahead.
Do not confuse my last post as having any desire to do so.. :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.