Indian electrical code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I am curious, what is the maximum size EGC allowed in the Indian NEC? For that matter, what is the minimum? How strictly is the standard enforced?
We better open up another thread not to raise objection from Mods.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am curious, what is the maximum size EGC allowed in the Indian NEC? For that matter, what is the minimum? How strictly is the standard enforced?

maybe Indian electricians liked to make the EGC out of 1x1/4 bus bar for 20A circuits so the government banned the practice to save on copper?

having said that, the place I used to work for did a fair amount of work for a well known engineering company. their spec required every control panel have a lug installed for the #2 EGC that came to every control panel. It did not matter if it was a 15a circuit. It got a #2 EGC.

And then there was the (2) 2/0 lugs that they required on every skid so they could bond all the equipment together with its own LPS that was basically a 2/0 cable that snaked around the whole plant from skid to skid.

Last edited:

timm333

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
There is no such thing as Indian NEC. They have different codes over there... Why are Indian codes discussed on this forum? I thought it was an NEC forum...

jumper

Besoeker

You are an evil person. However, in 40 hours of online training apparrently you can become an expert in all kinds of different fields. Why can't we do that here?

Maybe because your installations would end up looking like this?

Indiacomms02.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I found myself wondering why Indian reservations would need to have their own version of the NEC... some days the lights are on but the owner has left the building I guess.

timm333

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
""""Looks better than some of the farm wiring in the USA.:) """"

Maybe then you should consider relocating to India:D

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I found myself wondering why Indian reservations would need to have their own version of the NEC...
May be the reason is the NEC uses exclusively TN method of earthing, whereas the Indian NEC permits use of TT method of earthing also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.