individual conductors in conduit..or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
USE cable also rated and labeled RHH/RHW. Where continued to interior wiring, it is used under the RHH/RHW labeling and must be in conduit or enclosure.

For sure it can be, I have used it. However I have yet to see a triplex cable with that listing.

kwired

Electron manager
The OP said triplex, that is a cable not single conductors correct?
Is there a NEC recognized cable that is composed of nothing more then three or four RHW conductors twisted together with no other overall sheath? They are made into an assembly by twisting them together, it may even be called URD (which is not an NEC term), but to the NEC it is still three or four RHW and/or USE conductors if dual rated.

For sure it can be, I have used it. However I have yet to see a triplex cable with that listing.
It is very common in these parts. You do have to watch what you get, as most of the common sizes for dwelling services as well as common sizes for other buildings are stocked at supply houses in dual rated conductors, but with as much farm applications as there is here and the distances of runs involved they also stock USE only versions and they are generally less cost then the dual rated conductors - but there is a demand for both types is why they have them. Order 4/0 triplex and it will be dual rated, order 4/0 quad - very popular size for irrigation equipment here an all they stock is the USE only version.

Status
Not open for further replies.