Infinite Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossman

Re: Infinite Resistance

Stuff like this is pretty fun to kick around, even though I admit I really don't have a clue, just trying to kick things around based on what I already know.

I took a AA 1.5v battery and shorted it with my simpson set on current 10 amp scale and was surprised to see 5 amps of current flowing, but as I continued to read the current, it was falling at a pretty steady rate, down to about 4.5 amps after 10 seconds at which point I stopped the reading. The internal resistance of the battery is what keeps the whole chemical reaction from going at once.

I am fairly certain that this internal resistance of a battery is not the same animal as the resistance of a piece of wire or a common resistor.

physis

It seems, Crossman, you are just about ready to accept the concept of internal resistance. :cool:

You know, transformers have that too, sept it's impedence. I'm not saying you should do dangerous things, but I taught myself electricity partly by damaging things. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. :cool:

physis

I am fairly certain that this internal resistance of a battery is not the same animal as the resistance of a piece of wire or a common resistor.
Crossman, A circuit is a circle. That's why I asked that silly question a page or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.