Inspector uses $5 gadget to detect faulty neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Physis 3

mpd said:
physis 3

who have you notified about this problem? have any of the tenants reported the living conditions? did you also contact the building & fire inspector? if it is that bad, put your complaint in writing so it is on record

The building department, the code enforcement department who operates through the fire department and the health department are included.

cowboyjwc, the problem is that noboby is aware of the elctrical problem to begin with, because this guy "knows" it would have been found using their toy even if they weren't looking for it. The slum lord blowing up one of the tenant's stereos and his continuing efforts to fix the problem are sort of a tip off that the inspector's wrong.

P

Physis 3

I don't mind sticking up for an inspector. I don't even mind if they're wrong as long as long as they can accept it and learn from it, I've come across many who do.

P

Physis 3

I tried to edit out the extra as long but my edit button wont work.:confused:

romeo

Inspector uses $5 gadget to detect faulty neutral

Physis 3 said:
Does anybody have a problem with an inspector being totally convinced that his stupid three light plug in toy will faithfully report a faulty neutral to him.[/QUOTI

I do not think that he should be totally convinced,but he should surly investigate further.

I am assuming that he detected a faulty neutral by testing a receptacle. What other method would you recommend he should use to do a quick test?

I have found many problems such as open grounds, reverse polarity and open neutrals using this method. When I find these conditions,it is an indication to me that the electrician did not do a test of the installation,and the $5.00 plug in toy would have saved the price of a re inspection fee.

romeo

Inspector uses $5 gadet to detect faulty neutral

Inspector uses $5 gadet to detect faulty neutral

barbeer said:
I do not believe that any of us should put all our faith in a piece of equipment that is so cheap. When I use a plug-in tester it is generally to spot check premise wiring and verify GFI and ARC FAULT protection. The burden of proper wiring procedures is on the EC not the Inspector and I do not feel an Inspector should "certify" a system as it sounds that one was doing. The scope for an inspector IMHO is to ensure that an install meets minimum code and poses no safety problems for all involved.

I as an inspector uses the plug in tester for the same reason as you do,except i do not spot check, I test all receptacles,if I find a problem then I require further testing.

Does a receptacle that does not provide power meet the 6ft. rule? I question how the inspector can ensure that an install meets minimum code if all receptacles are not tested,for power,polarity,grounding etc?

If you knew how many times i find problems, because the installer did not do a through test of the installation,you would understand why I use a cheap tester to do the testing that the installer failed to do.

PS the only true test for afci circuits are by the test button on the circuit breaker.

John Arendt

As an Inspector, I, and all the others use the GFI/Polarity testers that you guys call "bug-eyes". Yes, I/we do find problems; miswired GFI's, rev polarity, open grd.

AFCI's are not required here in NJ (State Amendment; '02 & '05) so, I can't speak about them. We had a job that was 'spec' as AFCI, and thought about the Ideal tester.....but the Architect pulled the spec beforehand.

That all said, IF the EC does his job; testing the install before he calls for inspection, I should find no issues. Now also in a perfect world, the temp would be 74 degrees, no clouds/rain, and we all would work 2 or 3 days. HA HA. That world don't exist, nor do ALL EC's test out their work.

John:

brian john

I own $100,000.00 of dollars of test equipment and this equipment ism built to higher standards than a bug eye (I HOPE). The first think I do when I get a questionable result is question the test equipment, then I question myself, then I check the item under test.

I test my wiggy EVERYTIME before testing a piece of equipment to be serviced and insist all my employees do the same. I do not want to die because o a $60.00 tester is malfunctioning.

brian john

5 high current test sets, Two IR cameras, 6 RPM's, several relay test sets, Alber battery testers, load banks, high pots, meggers and two many Multimeters and amp clamps to count and the list goes on.

P

Physis 3

By romeo:

What other method would you recommend he should use to do a quick test?

It?s fine for a standard check, just not good enough to rule out other information that disagrees with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.