Installing light poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

90% of the time, we just call a crane for about $100. You can easily remove/replace a couple poles in under an hour if you are prepared.

DSC01467.jpg

In a pinch/troubleshoot we will use the bucket truck to remove a pole but it is not designed for that so it's a pain.

In areas inaccessible to a crane, I have used an all terrain fork lift.

mon006-1.jpg

Don't lift by the fixture heads if they are not bolted on. Set screws can slip off. Use a hook in the hand hole if this is the case.

Make sure the base is designed to support the taller poles. 3/4" x 30" bolts and about 6' of concrete underground.

You can even yank the bases out if required.

DSC02029.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Any suggestions?

Know anyone with a small backhoe? You can dig the holes and set the poles with one.

Prep the poles, run the conduit up them, mount bracket, maybe even mount the lights if you think you can set the pole without tearing them off. If the lights need to be aimed a little better after the poles are up, do it off an extension ladder.

Otherwise, charge for a bucket truck rental and do it the easy way.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
yep... this is something that maxis puts out... check it out:

http://lightpolesetter.com/Home_Page.html

or get a little hydro crane for a minimum charge....
or a pettibone, and pick it with that.

Pretty cool rig, I used to set 20' poles by walking the up off the top of the van, I had a full flat ladder rack on it, so I just put a piece of plywood on top, and pushed it right up, Not OSHA approved method though.

celtic

rent an ....Elliot lift......

..or a Hi-Ranger.

Build the poles, test operation, load them up on the truck, drive out and set them.

Of course the logistics of your site may require some other apparatus and more handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.