Installing recessed cans in plaster ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Man

Does anyone have a good way of cuttuing in 6" cans in existing plaster ceilings without having the repair the plaster? This plaster is about 5/8" thick with wire mesh behind it with 3/4" decking behind that. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use Carbide hole saws on a slow speed drill. But they are expensive. I believe that a 6" is about $125.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an adjustable bit that has a plaster bit.

GetPhoto.aspx

E Man

We use Carbide hole saws on a slow speed drill. But they are expensive. I believe that a 6" is about $125.

How many can you cut before its worn out? I only need to cut in 4. Also who is the manufacturer? thanks

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have one of those cuyyers but it burnt the bit up and barely scratched it. Can you show me a pic of which bit you use? thanks

I bought the unit many years ago-- 25yrs or so-- they had wood bits and a plaster bit.. The plaster bit is much thicker-- I haven't seen a picture but I will look. Better still here is the website

E Man

I bought the unit many years ago-- 25yrs or so-- they had wood bits and a plaster bit.. The plaster bit is much thicker-- I haven't seen a picture but I will look. Better still here is the website

Thanks I will check the website. I am trying to cut through about a 1.5" of material and I read my manual for the cutter and it says 7/8" max. Oops should have read web site first. It says if you can cut from both sides you can go up to 1.75". I would have to cut the decking out anyway so the can would clear. Customer doesn't want the short cans.

Last edited:

Riograndeelectric

Home Depot has a 6 3/8 milwaukee carbide hole saw for arouns $30.00 does not come with an arbor.

I just finished installing 7 ceilng fans and metal fan brace box in a metal lath and plaster ceilng. I used a 4 1/2" carbide hole saw it thru the metal lath without any problems as long as you use low spee . I would cut out all the plaster holes first and then go back with a Bi metal hole saw to cut thru the planking
Carbide hole saws do not like cutting thru wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202327775/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

E Man

Home Depot has a 6 3/8 milwaukee carbide hole saw for arouns $30.00 does not come with an arbor.

I just finished installing 7 ceilng fans and metal fan brace box in a metal lath and plaster ceilng. I used a 4 1/2" carbide hole saw it thru the metal lath without any problems as long as you use low spee . I would cut out all the plaster holes first and then go back with a Bi metal hole saw to cut thru the planking
Carbide hole saws do not like cutting thru wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202327775/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks for the heads up on cutting the wood.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Buy a sturdy one. We had one a few years ago that was kind of thin walled and bent if you bumped it a little to hard.

One of the best ones I had was like this Milwaukee, although it wasn't a Milwaukee.
51180_49-56-0296.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.