Interesting way to Nail a box to a wall stud... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
314.23 B 1

Nails and screws, where used as a fastening means, shall be attached by using brackets on the outside of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within 6mm (1/4 in) of the back or ends of the enclosure. Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avid abrasion of conductor insulation.

(I admit that it is hard to tell just how far the nails are from the back of the box, but they look to me like they are about 1/2")

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
314.23 B 1

Nails and screws, where used as a fastening means, shall be attached by using brackets on the outside of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within 6mm (1/4 in) of the back or ends of the enclosure. Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avid abrasion of conductor insulation.

(I admit that it is hard to tell just how far the nails are from the back of the box, but they look to me like they are about 1/2")

I agree, the nails in this black box below are in violation of 314.23(B)(1)

attachment.php

But the nails in this silver box below are code compliant and an NEC acceptable way to mount a box.

Gem%20box%20nails.jpg

stickboy1375

The nails in the box I posted are so much more forward than the picture tends to show, you couldn't even install a receptacle.... As a side note, I removed the old receptacle and BX and installed the NM cable, and when I did that, those nails were non existing, whoever removed the plaster and installed the sheetrock added the nails. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.