Intersystem Bonding Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone know if these devices are only for use with intersystem bonding conductors in with article 800 installations? Can they be used to connect GES bonding jumpers to the GEC or GES?

GBB50-2.jpg

jumper

I want to say no.

250.64(D)(1)(3) Connections to an aluminum or copper busbar not less
than 6 mm thick ? 50 mm wide (1?4 in. thick ? 2 in. wide)
and of sufficient length to accommodate the number of
terminations necessary for the installation. The busbar
shall be securely fastened and shall be installed in an
accessible location. Connections shall be made by a listed
connector or by the exothermic welding process. If aluminum
busbars are used, the installation shall comply with
250.64(A).

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
2014 NEC clarified the intersystem bonding termination was for intersystem bonds only. A bonding bus bar could be used to connect GES and GEC.
But the bonding bus bar could also used for intersystem bonds

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Does anyone know if these devices are only for use with intersystem bonding conductors in with article 800 installations? Can they be used to connect GES bonding jumpers to the GEC or GES?

GBB50-2.jpg

2014 NEC clarified the intersystem bonding termination was for intersystem bonds only.....
Well, Dang! I keep getting putting these things in hoping somebody will use them. I would like to think that another electrician could, nobody else is.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My hypothetical question is say I ran a #4 cu to the cold water pipe could I use one of these to connect a #6 from each ground rod to the #4 GEC?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
My hypothetical question is say I ran a #4 cu to the cold water pipe could I use one of these to connect a #6 from each ground rod to the #4 GEC?

I would think if I can connect the #6 from the ground rod to the water pipe why can't I use this device for that purpose?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think if I can connect the #6 from the ground rod to the water pipe why can't I use this device for that purpose?

I would think so too but I heard in a CEU seminar that they were only listed for use with Article 800 intersystem bonding applications. Makes no sense to me. :roll:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I can not find anything in the UL white book when I search for "intersystem bonding". But according to the definition per article 100 it is rated for bonding conductors for the communication system.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well, Dang! I keep getting putting these things in hoping somebody will use them. I would like to think that another electrician could, nobody else is.
Around here the cable guys were told not to use it, not sure why but I too have not seen them used

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I would think so too but I heard in a CEU seminar that they were only listed for use with Article 800 intersystem bonding applications. Makes no sense to me. :roll:
There's much to the section that makes no sense.

Around here the cable guys were told not to use it, not sure why but I too have not seen them used

Why on earth not? It's explicitly for their use!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the UL White Book for "Grounding and Bonding Equipment, Communications" (KDSH).
This category covers grounding devices intended for use in telecommunication applications, such as telephone, radio, CATV and the like, in accordance with Articles 770, 800, 810, 820, 830 and Section 250.94 of ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC).
Intersystem Bonding Terminations ? Devices that provide a means for connecting communications systems grounding conductors and bonding conductors at the service equipment or at the disconnecting means for buildings or structures supplied by a feeder or branch circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why on earth not? It's explicitly for their use!

I don't know-- I guess they are afraid that anyone can come by with a screw driver and disconnect it but if there were a split bolt on it then they wont.. I don't know. We put them in and I was told by the installers that they were told not to use them.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I installed one similar when I rebuilt after my house burned down. I actually had to explain to the cable guy and phone technician what it was used for. I would agree with the bonding terminal block only and not a grounding terminal because of the lack of irreversible connections. If people don't use them for bonding, it only makes sense that they will remove wires for grounding.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't know-- I guess they are afraid that anyone can come by with a screw driver and disconnect it but if there were a split bolt on it then they wont.. I don't know. We put them in and I was told by the installers that they were told not to use them.

What must be used instead of the bonding terminal?? The older style that clipped on the edge of the panel and supposedly penetrates the paint??

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What must be used instead of the bonding terminal?? The older style that clipped on the edge of the panel and supposedly penetrates the paint??

I installed one similar when I rebuilt after my house burned down. I actually had to explain to the cable guy and phone technician what it was used for. I would agree with the bonding terminal block only and not a grounding terminal because of the lack of irreversible connections. If people don't use them for bonding, it only makes sense that they will remove wires for grounding.

Ok we place this device for the purpose of the Cable guy and the telco guy to bond to and they are afraid to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.