Iowa's 2 year old Statewide Electrical License Program could be Repealed Soon !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies ...

My apologies ...

In no way did i want to give this forum a bad name or use it as a "Soapbox" for politics in the State of Iowa.

We as trained electricians, inspectors, and educators, know the importance of the skills and the knowledge that one must have to work with electricity safely and also to make safe installations. I was looking more for opinions of the importance of a
"Qualified Person" One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved.
I apologize to those of you that feel that I have wasted their time with my post but it was something that I felt that needed to be brought up and the importance of education and training. That is the reson we are all here. I do appreciate all of you for your time and opinions the are very valuable!

rodneee

In no way did i want to give this forum a bad name or use it as a "Soapbox" for politics in the State of Iowa.

We as trained electricians, inspectors, and educators, know the importance of the skills and the knowledge that one must have to work with electricity safely and also to make safe installations. I was looking more for opinions of the importance of a
"Qualified Person" One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved.
I apologize to those of you that feel that I have wasted their time with my post but it was something that I felt that needed to be brought up and the importance of education and training. That is the reson we are all here. I do appreciate all of you for your time and opinions the are very valuable!

you did not give the forum a bad name or waste anyone's time, nor is there a need for you apologize...in fact i did not see your post as "political" as licensing issues relate directly to business...it is not like you were asking if the US should have gone to iraq...

iwire

Staff member
you did not give the forum a bad name or waste anyone's time, nor is there a need for you apologize...in fact i did not see your post as "political" as licensing issues relate directly to business...it is not like you were asking if the US should have gone to iraq...

I agree 100%.:cool:

We are just saying do not turn the conversation into something political which experience tells us that is were it will often lead.

billsnuff

I find it amazing that this is a topic of discussion at MH, but has yet to appear on the radar screen in the minutes/agenda of the State ELEC Exam Board.

But I would imagine that those good folks are just soldiering on with the task at hand and staying out of the politics, as I hope we do here. Unfortunately, I think it is all about the money, in this case, or lack thereof. (It's the Economy, Stupid)

If I see anything of interest, I will post an update, as I am sure Ken will also.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, but I don't see just completely trashing it as a solution either.

I find it amazing that this is a topic of discussion at MH, but has yet to appear on the radar screen in the minutes/agenda of the State ELEC Exam Board.

But I would imagine that those good folks are just soldiering on with the task at hand and staying out of the politics, as I hope we do here. Unfortunately, I think it is all about the money, in this case, or lack thereof. (It's the Economy, Stupid)

If I see anything of interest, I will post an update, as I am sure Ken will also.

Again I don't know all the facts of what is happening in Iowa, but would guess that the idea of repealing what has been done in recent years is not the idea of professionals that want to do things right, fire and rescue people that see some of the worst cases of what happens in installations that do not have minimum standards, insurance companies, or victims of electrical accidents.

It is more likely being supported by people that have no interest in anything but money, all they see out of the system that was put in place is more regulations and more expenses for consumers.

If the people that want to see the system remain and eventually grow - yes there is likely problems with the system, but they will eventually be fixed over time, then they need to educate others why it is important.

Lawmakers represent the people they serve, if they only get support on one side of an issue then why should they support the other side? This is not like national health care or other things that anyone in general will have an opinion about, many people will not see or feel that this decision has any impact on them. Give them a good enough reason to at least have an interest in why the system in place is good to have or the thing will be killed very fast, and they will move on to issues that are seen as important to the majority.

480sparky

My understanding of the proposed legislation is that it's based on the premise the state does not have the legal authority to license electricians.

kwired

Electron manager
My understanding of the proposed legislation is that it's based on the premise the state does not have the legal authority to license electricians.

Wow.

I don't know how to comment about that without starting to make this thread go political. I'm sure the state issues licenses to other professionals, and even issues automobile driver licenses.

I will stop there.

Wow.

I don't know how to comment about that without starting to make this thread go political. I'm sure the state issues licenses to other professionals, and even issues automobile driver licenses.

I will stop there.

Yeah that is a very slippery slope to be standing on. That logic will set a very dangerous precedent for future items.

Status
Not open for further replies.