Is a subpanel an outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE

Just wondering if anyone out there would consider a subpanel or circuit breaker an outlet? I just did an inspection where the electrician installed a subpanel (new installation for 2nd floor addition) in a bedroom.

I don't consider it an outlet, but with the history of that topic, I wonder if anyone else does. When I saw it, it struck me funny, and I had to think about it.

I know some of you guys have put a lot more research on this than I have.

Thanks,

John

peter d

Uh oh....that is a hot button issue. :shock: :lol:

Some would be inclined to call it an outlet, others wouldn't. I don't think you'll get a clear answer one way or the other.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
John,

You'll find eleven pages of discussion on this topic at Bedroom, Panel, Arc-Fault from a year and a half ago.

About halfway down the 3rd page I lay out the beginnings of my opinion on why a circuit breaker with a SWD capability is understood as an outlet.

My opinion is yes.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
But you will note that you received 10 separate, but consistent (i.e., all said "no") responses, and only 1 response that hinted at a contrary opinion. So this 2-page (so far) thread has provided you with a more direct answer to your question than you would have gotten, if you had started by reading that other 11-page thread.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sorry, Al. I missed that "My opinion is yes" statement. I was too busy trying to remember what "SWD" might have meant.
  • Single Wheel Drive?
  • Sledding While Drunk?
  • "Save the Whales" Dial-a-thon?
  • Stop Wasting the Deodorant?
  • Soaking Wet Diaper?
  • Stunning White Diamond?
  • Spiced Wine with Duck?
  • Simple Wage Deduction?
  • Stanley the Water Dog?
  • Storm Warning Directive?
  • Savory Watercress Dip?
  • Startling Wardrobe Dysfunction?