Is AFCI a done deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerdave3

iwire said:
Of course they will work perfectly, the manufacturers said so and they would not lie with millions of dollars in sales at stake. :wink:

Oh wait......they have lied for the past 10 or 12 years about AFCIs.:mad:

Check out this EC&M Article from Nov.

AFCIs on the Brink of a Home Invasion

Here is a notable quote, this is actually from the proposal to increase the use of AFCIs

An excellent track record?

Thats funny, I just read that article yesterday, its in the November issue (yeah, I'm a little behind in my reading). Some good quotes in there from Mike Holt as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
Will it even effect you all in NJ? :)

Right now no. But I'm assuming that once the NEC requires them everywhere then NJ DCA will feel obligated to follow suit.

My personal disdain stems from the fact that AFCI's are not yet perfected. They remind of me of the first generation GFCI's. When I hear stories of them tripping when someone plugs in a vacuum I'm concerned because now every time that that one trips my phone will ring. That would be fine if those were paid service calls, but how can you justify charging Joe homeowner, (who just bought his dream home that you've wired) whenever the vacuum trips the CB?

ceknight

infinity said:
That would be fine if those were paid service calls, but how can you justify charging Joe homeowner, (who just bought his dream home that you've wired) whenever the vacuum trips the CB?

I'd just explain to Joe Homeowner that if it really were his dream home, he'd never have to vacuum anything. :)

ceknight said:
I'd just explain to Joe Homeowner that if it really were his dream home, he'd never have to vacuum anything. :)

Yeah , Yeah if someone is smart aleck to put a central vacuum machine then maybe it can get away from part of AFCI loop but still on hook some way.

my personal option it will get messy for while.,

the cost will go up for new home
rewire the bedroom if have to upgrade that mean extra $$ there

it did happened in European area they have simuir device what the euro guys called : " RCD "

it can be blessing or cussing device depending if set up for main or branch circuit

most RCD are useally set to trip 30Ma or more depending on the manufacter it use and type

Merci , Marc

H.L.

For what it is worth, I talked to a Chicago inspector today and he heard that it was a done deal for the '08 NEC but that arc faults would NOT be required for pipe installations.

H.L.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
H.L.
For what it is worth, I talked to a Chicago inspector today and he heard that it was a done deal for the '08 NEC but that arc faults would NOT be required for pipe installations.
It is not a done deal until after the NFPA membership votes on it at the June meeting and then it may be apealed to the standards council and possibly the courts. The current version says that you do not have to provide AFCI protection for the branch circuit between the panel and the first outlet if the branch circuit is in metal conduit or metal clad cable, however since there are no receptacle type AFCIs on the market you will still have to protect the complete branch circuit with an AFCI breaker.
Don

mark henderson

I am not looking forward to this if it all comes into effect. The nightmares will start over again.:mad:
Recently I had an arc fault tripping after checking and re checking the circuit finding all to be in order. We determined that the medical equipment used to keep this H/O alive was acting as an arc fault. I supplied the H/O with a 12-2 extension cord to plug into a non arc fault receptacle. No more problems. So with the new devices and requirements what will we do in this case in the future. Were medical equipment is acting as an arc fault. I don't want to be responsible for that one.

Mark

mark henderson

One other thing we had the cutler-hammer rep. here the other day and when we mentioned this he just grinned from ear to ear.
I am sure he say $$$$$$$$ in his head.:mad:

Mark

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
One other thing we had the cutler-hammer rep. here the other day and when we mentioned this he just grinned from ear to ear.
I am sure he say $$$$$$$$ in his head.
That is interesting given the fact that they don't even have a listing for an AFCI device that can be installed after 1/1/08 under the 2005 code rules.
Don

mark henderson

don_resqcapt19 said:
Mark,

That is interesting given the fact that they don't even have a listing for an AFCI device that can be installed after 1/1/08 under the 2005 code rules.
Don

I am sure they are scrambling in those laboratory's. Then they will come up with some product that will fail and there will be mass recalls. There wont be any tech data or testers capable to help us trouble shoot the problems. We will be scratching our heads until we finally figure it out. If you could not tell I am in favor of arc faults going away. Or show me the statistics for the benefits they are supposed to be giving.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.