Is it against code to not use the red eye bushings that come with mc cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Simple and easy! All it takes to make a single cut are the following tools:

• Kett-Tool Metal-Clad Cable Saw
• 2"/44 teeth Cutting Blades
• Cable Saw Spindle and Allen Wrenches
• MC Cable Guide
• Tubing and Pipe Cutter
• 12" V-Jaw Channel-Lock Pliers
• 10" Hacksaw Frame
• 10"/24 teeth/in. Hacksaw Blades
• 10 ft. Tape Measure
• Utility Knife with Blades
• 5/16" Screwdriver
• Tool Box

So, how many of you actually own a Kett-Tool Metal-Clad Cable Saw.....or have even seen one for that matter?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I cut the cable with Kleins, bend and separate the sheath, trim it with snips, and shape it with Kleins.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Oh, I thought I had seen somebody post a specific method that would properly strip the cable with rotosplits and remove the sharp point.

quinn77

well...all mc methodology mentioned previously in this thread seems to work, but what is the situation? basic small project rough and trim? i like to only carry what i need in "on the go" situations; however when i have 12 guys roughing in 250 hotel rooms, you bet your butt each one will have a split and a pair of snips, dikes, strippers, yatta yatta to clean the end. and with oh lets see....20,000 cable terms to do in about 30 days, we HAVE to use the split. and yes, boxes and boxes of the little red bushings. i would never go without the bushings no matter what the connector is listed for, just seen too many big jobs turn into nightmares when they wernt used, it wasnt the only reason( poor craftsmanship played its part), but i learned then that the part is cheap and easy enough, why not have a little extra insurance.:)

LJSMITH1

Insulated bushings on cable connectors are not the same as anti-shorts used for AC cable. If you use AC cable with an insulated fitting, you are still required to use the Anti-Short bushing.

Anti-Short bushings reside between the sheathing and the conductors and prevent the conductor insulation from being damaged by the sharp edge of the sheathing. The fitting insulator only additionally protects the conductor's insulation as it exits the fitting - although not required if the fitting has a smooth cable stop transition. Since most cable stop transitions are thin, its is very difficult to make the edge smooth enough - so a bushing is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.